Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linux On The Desktop A Reality

Linux On The Desktop A Reality

Seymour B. Utts

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:15:27 +0000, TechNews posted:

> Seymour B. Utts wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:57:17 +0100, michael turner posted: <snip>
>>> You GNU/Linux *evangelists* are worse than the ****in' Mormons or
>>> Jehovah's Witnesses.

>> Yeah, he does get a bit much. I saw a couple of replies & posts about
>> linux that were clearly wrong, & IMHO they needed correcting.
>>

> All I've posted is news articles from the Web. Show where correction is
> needed.

Sorry, I didn't mean you.
I meant the Micro$ofties who mistakenly think linux works the same way as
Windoze. Anyway, as for people complaining about linux posts, AFAIK this
group is for any sort of posts. Personally I don't browse it much, as it's
full of Micro$ofties trying to get their b0rked Gatesware to work, update
their spyware & AV proggies, remove viruses, clear BSODs & crashes etc..

--
kernel 2.6.6 / KDE 3.2.2
1GB DDR RAM /

TechNews

gb wrote:

> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
> Windows, let along Linux.

If you follow most of the help cries in this NG, you will correctly come to
the conclusion that their problems stem from the OS itself, and not from
something they did, or did not do. Windows has a life of its own, one
miniute it works, next minute it doesn't.

> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And

You are welcome to ignore my posts and skip to the next thread. I wasn't
aware that you are being forced to read anything.

> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux

I'm not eliciting a response. This is a NEWSgroup and I'm posting news.

> does come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the
> hackers and whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see
> weekly Linux Updates, instead.

You really should look into this... Linux architecture is very different
from windows, and hackers will find it next to impossible to target the OS.
Even if they were to theoretically succeed, the damage to users would be
negligible.

--
Reliability:Speed:Security

Seymour B. Utts

On Fri, 28 May 2004 15:14:01 +0000, Alexander Rogge posted:

>> One has to wonder why someone would advocate Linux on a helpdesk
>> newsgroup. Yes, Linux _is_ an alternative OS, but is not really
>> suitable, IMHO, for the majority of users, and especially not suitable
>> for new computer users.

> It's better to start with a stable and secure operating system than to
> learn computing the Microsoft way.
>
> Linux: Read manual, install software, use computer.
>
> Bundled Windows: Get patches from Microsoft before computer is found by
> malware, install anti-virus software and update daily, install
> anti-spyware software and update weekly, run anti-virus and anti-spyware
> scans regularly, install third-party software for Registry fixing, and
> expect frequent rebooting when Windows crashes.
>
> There are people who spend at least two hours a day doing nothing but
> downloading patches, running software scans, and trying to get Windows to
> stop crashing. Many new computer users simply ignore the Microsoft
> security problems and don't install the security software or patches.
> Others install so much conflicting security software that Windows won't
> even load. Some people have become afraid to use their computers at all.
>
> http://www.linspire.com/lindows_mich...ves.php?id=118

About 8/9 months ago, I went to a friend's house to fix his computer. it
kept crashing when he used Office. He's not connected to the net, & only
uses it for writing letters & for accounting. After fixing it, I suggested
he may like to try a linux distro. I installed a second HDD & installed
knoppix & Open Office. I spent a little time with him & showed him how to
use the OS. After a week he called me & asked where the defragging tool
was! naturally I told him there wasn't one, it /didn't/ need one. After 6
months of using it, he asked me to install the linux distro on his main
drive, as he'd had no crashes, no lockups, & could get through a /lot/
more work done than he had been doing.
The great thing was too, from his point of view, was he didn't need to
increase his RAM, nor upgrade any of his hardware...which he would have
/had/ to, to run a newer M$ OS.

--
kernel 2.6.6 / KDE 3.2.2
1GB DDR RAM /
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/

Seymour B. Utts

On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:22:00 +0100, Rifleman posted:

> Well I for one find them interesting, as a lurker in the Linux world (just
> waiting for my exchange to be converted to Broadband and then goodbye
> windows!)

You'll like broadband, it is /fast/ compared to dialup!
ATM I'm on 512, but I'm hoping to get 1MB quite soon.
Other sites that you may find of interest are:-
http://www.thejemreport.com/modules....rticle&sid=123
http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/ [handy for pulling windoze out
of the sh*t, & friends who've forgotten their windows password. ]
http://www.gnome.org/
http://linuxtoday.com/
http://www.linux.org/news/

--
kernel 2.6.6 / KDE 3.2.2
1GB DDR RAM /
http://linuxnotjustforgeeks.org/

Paul - xxx

TechNews posted ...

> Paul - xxx wrote:
>
>> TechNews posted ...
>>
>>> In a piece today, PCWorld says Linux "may not topple the Microsoft
>>> empire anytime soon

>> One has to wonder why someone would advocate Linux on a helpdesk

> Windows users need lots and lots of help; one can argue that the
> correct solution is to dump windows altogether.

It's an argument I disagree with.

>> newsgroup. Yes, Linux _is_ an alternative OS, but is not really
>> suitable, IMHO, for the majority of users, and especially not
>> suitable for new computer users.
>>

> That's were you are wrong, it IS suitable to the majority of users:
> *Anyone* can go to a computer store, buy a boxed Linux distribution,
> install it and enjoy everything they have come to expect. They will
> find a GUI by which to access applications, surf the net, post to
> usene, use a wordprocessor, a spreadsheet, a contact manager, listen
> to mp3's, etc., etc., etc.
>
> Of course, all this without crashes, freezes, BSOD, perpetual reboots,
> inexplicable performance degradation, and... did I mentioned crashes?

It's a while since I 'played' with Linux, perhaps it's now got much a better
user interface then ...which it sorely needed .. and can use all the
software which I, and the businesses I work with, have accumulated and use
daily ...

I must admit to not even looking at Linux for quite a while, maybe four
years or more ...

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

Norwegian Formula

Ron Martell, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:

> michael turner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:55:51 +0000, gb wrote:
>>
>>> The ones that fare worst are those who don't have a clue on how to use
>>> Windows, let along Linux.
>>>
>>> It's getting boring seeing you posting 'Linux this, Linux that'. And
>>> judging by other responses, no one really cares, either. And, if Linux does
>>> come to the fore and overtake Windows, it won't be long till the hackers and
>>> whatever else target Linux instead of Windows and we'll see weekly Linux
>>> Updates, instead.

>>They already do...
>>This is the security update patch list for Mandrake 9.2:
>>http://www.mandrakesoft.com/security/advisories?dis=9.2

> Let's see some of these.
>
> "an issue where 3rd parties can retrieve member passwords from the
> server"
>
> "an exploitable bug in the cpufreq code in the Linux 2.6 kernel"
>
> "can be used to overflow malloc()ed memory in a way that can be
> remotely exploited."
>
> This is the invulnerable, invincible Linux? Something seems to be a
> bit amiss.

All fixed quite quickly too. Nowhere were the problems abused that anyone
knows of or reported. You also keep forgetting (or are just too stupid to
understand...my money goes on this one) is that not all distros nor systems
have each and every vulnerability reported, you stupid gank.
The only thing "amiss" are the missing thought processes in that hollow shell
you call a skull. ****ing idiot. Sheesh.
--
Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
4:04pm up 11 days 11:21, 2 users, load average: 1.01, 1.03, 1.02