Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WindowsXP boot problems

WindowsXP boot problems

Darren Gibbard

Hey i don't know if anyone here can help me but im having some really big
problems.
Basically ive just replaced my ASRock K7S8X rev3 and AMD AthlonXP2000+ with
a brand spanking new Biostar M7NCD and AMD AthlonXP3200+.
All seemed well until my machine didnt boot to WindowsXP- it doesnt quite
get as far as the WindowsXp bootscreen- even in safemode i still get the
same problem it just bluescreens all the time just before showing the winXP
bootscreen.
This was fair enough i thought- as simple repair install of Win XP and id be
fine, but it wont let me boot from CD! it says Boot from CD... then just
goes to my choose operating system screen (running XP Pro + 98SE dualboot)
Ive tried everything- different drives, clearing CMOS flashing BIOS, but
nothing.

Another problem I am having is Windows98SE refuses to load the setup files
on disk- stating there is not enough memory available- i have 768MB RAM and
virtual mem is set to max-1024 min-512 so i cant see what the problem is?
Another thing is ive had to contact Biostar via email which is gona take
years, but they have no telephone HQ's in the UK so if anyone could phone
them for me to find out more info thtd b great! lol
im running a 300W PSU, GeForceFX5600 gfx card, LiteOnIt CD-RW drive, LG
DVD-ROM drive, 2 maxtor HDDs- 1s 40GB and the other is 80GB. If any more
info is required please do not hesitate to ask!!

Thanks for any/all help that you can give!
dalgibbard.

Isaac

"Darren Gibbard" <dal*remove*gibbard@*remove*btopenwor*remove*ld.co m>
wrote in news:c94ob6$lv$(E-Mail Removed):

> Another problem I am having is Windows98SE refuses to load the setup
> files on disk- stating there is not enough memory available- i have
> 768MB RAM and virtual mem is set to max-1024 min-512 so i cant see
> what the problem is?

ICee

Darren Gibbard wrote:
> Hey i don't know if anyone here can help me but im having some really
> big problems.
> Basically ive just replaced my ASRock K7S8X rev3 and AMD
> AthlonXP2000+ with a brand spanking new Biostar M7NCD and AMD
> AthlonXP3200+.
> All seemed well until my machine didnt boot to WindowsXP- it doesnt
> quite get as far as the WindowsXp bootscreen- even in safemode i
> still get the same problem it just bluescreens all the time just
> before showing the winXP bootscreen.
> This was fair enough i thought- as simple repair install of Win XP
> and id be fine, but it wont let me boot from CD! it says Boot from
> CD... then just goes to my choose operating system screen (running XP
> Pro + 98SE dualboot) Ive tried everything- different drives, clearing
> CMOS flashing BIOS, but nothing.
>
> Another problem I am having is Windows98SE refuses to load the setup
> files on disk- stating there is not enough memory available- i have
> 768MB RAM and virtual mem is set to max-1024 min-512 so i cant see
> what the problem is? Another thing is ive had to contact Biostar via
> email which is gona take years, but they have no telephone HQ's in
> the UK so if anyone could phone them for me to find out more info
> thtd b great! lol
> im running a 300W PSU, GeForceFX5600 gfx card, LiteOnIt CD-RW drive,
> LG DVD-ROM drive, 2 maxtor HDDs- 1s 40GB and the other is 80GB. If
> any more info is required please do not hesitate to ask!!
>
> Thanks for any/all help that you can give!
> dalgibbard.

You're attempting to run all that from a 300 watt PSU? I'm surprised it
even boots. When you set the BIOS to boot from the CD, does it not say
"press any key to boot from CD" (or something along those lines)?
Win 98 has problems with anything over 512 MB memory.
Get a larger PSU, at least 400 watts, decent quality (Antec, Enermax).

Darren Gibbard

Is there anything i can cut out of my system to get it up and running until
i can get me hands on a new PSU?

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Darren Gibbard wrote:
> > Hey i don't know if anyone here can help me but im having some really
> > big problems.
> > Basically ive just replaced my ASRock K7S8X rev3 and AMD
> > AthlonXP2000+ with a brand spanking new Biostar M7NCD and AMD
> > AthlonXP3200+.
> > All seemed well until my machine didnt boot to WindowsXP- it doesnt
> > quite get as far as the WindowsXp bootscreen- even in safemode i
> > still get the same problem it just bluescreens all the time just
> > before showing the winXP bootscreen.
> > This was fair enough i thought- as simple repair install of Win XP
> > and id be fine, but it wont let me boot from CD! it says Boot from
> > CD... then just goes to my choose operating system screen (running XP
> > Pro + 98SE dualboot) Ive tried everything- different drives, clearing
> > CMOS flashing BIOS, but nothing.
> >
> > Another problem I am having is Windows98SE refuses to load the setup
> > files on disk- stating there is not enough memory available- i have
> > 768MB RAM and virtual mem is set to max-1024 min-512 so i cant see
> > what the problem is? Another thing is ive had to contact Biostar via
> > email which is gona take years, but they have no telephone HQ's in
> > the UK so if anyone could phone them for me to find out more info
> > thtd b great! lol
> > im running a 300W PSU, GeForceFX5600 gfx card, LiteOnIt CD-RW drive,
> > LG DVD-ROM drive, 2 maxtor HDDs- 1s 40GB and the other is 80GB. If
> > any more info is required please do not hesitate to ask!!
> >
> > Thanks for any/all help that you can give!
> > dalgibbard.

> You're attempting to run all that from a 300 watt PSU? I'm surprised it
> even boots. When you set the BIOS to boot from the CD, does it not say
> "press any key to boot from CD" (or something along those lines)?
> Win 98 has problems with anything over 512 MB memory.
> Get a larger PSU, at least 400 watts, decent quality (Antec, Enermax).

Brian

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c94r4r$b06$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there anything i can cut out of my system to get it up and running

until
> i can get me hands on a new PSU?
>
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Darren Gibbard wrote:
> > > Hey i don't know if anyone here can help me but im having some really
> > > big problems.
> > > Basically ive just replaced my ASRock K7S8X rev3 and AMD
> > > AthlonXP2000+ with a brand spanking new Biostar M7NCD and AMD
> > > AthlonXP3200+.
> > > All seemed well until my machine didnt boot to WindowsXP- it doesnt
> > > quite get as far as the WindowsXp bootscreen- even in safemode i
> > > still get the same problem it just bluescreens all the time just
> > > before showing the winXP bootscreen.
> > > This was fair enough i thought- as simple repair install of Win XP
> > > and id be fine, but it wont let me boot from CD! it says Boot from
> > > CD... then just goes to my choose operating system screen (running XP
> > > Pro + 98SE dualboot) Ive tried everything- different drives, clearing
> > > CMOS flashing BIOS, but nothing.
> > >
> > > Another problem I am having is Windows98SE refuses to load the setup
> > > files on disk- stating there is not enough memory available- i have
> > > 768MB RAM and virtual mem is set to max-1024 min-512 so i cant see
> > > what the problem is? Another thing is ive had to contact Biostar via
> > > email which is gona take years, but they have no telephone HQ's in
> > > the UK so if anyone could phone them for me to find out more info
> > > thtd b great! lol
> > > im running a 300W PSU, GeForceFX5600 gfx card, LiteOnIt CD-RW drive,
> > > LG DVD-ROM drive, 2 maxtor HDDs- 1s 40GB and the other is 80GB. If
> > > any more info is required please do not hesitate to ask!!
> > >
> > > Thanks for any/all help that you can give!
> > > dalgibbard.

> > You're attempting to run all that from a 300 watt PSU? I'm surprised it
> > even boots. When you set the BIOS to boot from the CD, does it not say
> > "press any key to boot from CD" (or something along those lines)?
> > Win 98 has problems with anything over 512 MB memory.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;253912
> > Get a larger PSU, at least 400 watts, decent quality (Antec, Enermax).

If power is the problem, then remove the power from your two rom drives.
although i don't think this is the case. But in your situation anything is
worth a try

ICee

Darren Gibbard wrote:
> Is there anything i can cut out of my system to get it up and running
> until i can get me hands on a new PSU?

You can try using just one hard drive and one optical drive, for about a
50 watt load decrease. That may or may not be enough, as the big power
eaters are the CPU and video card, but it is worth a try.