Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to prevent downloads

How to prevent downloads

Benito Kamela

Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
stuff?
I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Jerry G.

I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If you
want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
you the information.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Benito Kamela" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
stuff?
I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
Any ideas?
Thanks

nolly

> "Benito Kamela" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
> stuff?
> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c949f3$s4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If

you
> want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
> you the information.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
> =====

Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may benefit
from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all about?)

cheers,
nolly

Blinky the Shark

nolly wrote:

> "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c949f3$s4o$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here.
>> If you want answers, use a real address or something that there is a
>> way to send you the information.

> Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may
> benefit from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all
> about?)

Sounds like he's selling something.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

one_red_eye

"Benito Kamela" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
> stuff?
> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks

ZoneAlarm Pro seems to have that function. (blocks downloading)
My mom has it on her computer and I've found it to particularily annoying.
(can't download without the password)

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Plato

Benito Kamela wrote:

> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.

Tell them the rules are that they dont download anything. If they dont
listen to you, employ sanctions ie dont let them on the Internet for a
month.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

°Mike°

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:57:16 +0100, in
<c94ag0$6a6$(E-Mail Removed)>
nolly scrawled:

>> "Benito Kamela" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
>> stuff?
>> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
>> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.
>> Any ideas?
>> Thanks

>"Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:c949f3$s4o$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have the answer, but the return address is screwing things up here. If

>you
>> want answers, use a real address or something that there is a way to send
>> you the information.
>>

>Why don't you post the answer to the group, then other people may benefit
>from the information (isn't that what newsgroups are all about?)
>
>cheers,
>nolly

Because Jerry G is a no brainer, who is scared of having
his "advice" scrutinised.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Don't talk rubbish; replies belong in the newsgroup.
If you want personal correspondence, create your
own mailing list -- oh, wait, is that what your are
using newsgroups for... collecting email addresses?

Beware this idiot, people.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 04:28:48 -0400, in
<c949f3$s4o$(E-Mail Removed)>
Jerry G. scrawled:

<snip>

>If you want answers, use a real address or something that
>there is a way to send you the information.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Yes, it's called supervision.

On Thu, 27 May 2004 06:23:04 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Benito Kamela scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Martik

> Is there any way to prevent someone from using your PC and download
> stuff?
> I mean, for example, you allow your kids to use the PC and access the
> Internet but you don't want them to download ANYTHING.

In IE: select Tools, Internet Options, Security, Internet, Custom Level,
File download - Disable

Remove Kazaa and any FTP programs from your system.

If you are using XP, setup a limited account for the kids and an admin
account with password for yourself.

Do not let them use OE for mail

There is more but this should block most of it.

how can I prevent QuickTime from intercepting & playing mp3 downloads? NewB Computer Support 10 10-23-2012 01:06 PM
Extensions Downloads Compatible with Firefox 1.0 Reg Mouatt Firefox 2 11-06-2004 10:32 AM
batch downloads with firefox? Dennis J. Tuchler Firefox 4 07-15-2004 06:42 PM
Simultaneous downloads Tx2 Firefox 2 07-04-2004 06:44 PM
Mozilla Downloads - Single or Multiple joe webb Firefox 4 02-13-2004 06:29 AM

Advertisments