Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > chkdsk

chkdsk

Me/PDX

Using XP Home Edition
Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
Thanks a million!!!

Toolman Tim

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WzUsc.832$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Using XP Home Edition
> Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
> I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window

(like
> the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
> Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
> How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
> Thanks a million!!!

It went away because it was finished, and Windows closed the window. Start a
command window (start / run / cmd) then run it in that window.

Me/PDX

that brings up a black window...what do I do then to run chkdsk?

SEE MY NOTE IN LAST TWO LINES BELOW
"Toolman Tim" <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WzUsc.832$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > Using XP Home Edition
> > Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
> > I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window

> (like
> > the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
> > Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
> > How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
> > Thanks a million!!!
> >

> It went away because it was finished, (DO YOU MEAN THAT WINDOWS RAN AND

COMPLETED CHKDSK?) and Windows closed the window. Start a
> command window (start / run / cmd) then run it in that window.

Toolman Tim

Correct. chkdsk <enter> is "read only" mode, chkdsk /f <enter> will fix any
errors it finds. You will need to close the window manually - type exit
<enter> or click the red x.

"Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4QUsc.837$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> that brings up a black window...what do I do then to run chkdsk?
>
> SEE MY NOTE IN LAST TWO LINES BELOW
> "Toolman Tim" <ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:WzUsc.832$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> > > Using XP Home Edition
> > > Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
> > > I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window

> > (like
> > > the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
> > > Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
> > > How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
> > > Thanks a million!!!
> > >

> > It went away because it was finished, (DO YOU MEAN THAT WINDOWS RAN AND

> COMPLETED CHKDSK?) and Windows closed the window. Start a
> > command window (start / run / cmd) then run it in that window.

DE

Me/PDX wrote:

> Using XP Home Edition
> Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
> I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
> the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
> Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
> How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
> Thanks a million!!!

Why would you want to run it from a command-prompt box?

Just open (double-click) My Computer, click once for the drive you want
(i.e. click once to highlight C, right-click & choose Properties, and
click the Tools tab and you have the option to check the disk. Since you
should run CHKDSK with everything possible closed -- including
virus-scanner and screen-saver deactivated so they won't interfere -- you
should use the system's built-in interface where possible.

Barry OGrady

On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:56:38 GMT, "Me/PDX" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Using XP Home Edition
>Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
>I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
>the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
>Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
>How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
>Thanks a million!!!

Run from the command prompt.

-Barry
========

Barry OGrady

On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:36:09 -0700, DE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Me/PDX wrote:
>
>> Using XP Home Edition
>> Cannot run chkdsk from My Computer
>> I did a search on chkdsk and found it...clicked on it and black window (like
>> the old dos window) came up stating chkdsk is in read-only mode.
>> Then it did some kind of scan...several scans...and window went away.
>> How do I get around this and run chkdsk from My Computer?
>> Thanks a million!!!
>>

>Why would you want to run it from a command-prompt box?

Because that is the way it is done.

-Barry
========