Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Replacing a 8.1 gb 5.25 compaq hard drive?

Replacing a 8.1 gb 5.25 compaq hard drive?

Brian S.

My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

any help would be appreciated..

brian

one_red_eye

"Brian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
> hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
> another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
> this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
> to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
> recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
> doesn't want to pay for a controller card.
>
> any help would be appreciated..
>
> brian

If it has IDE sockets on the motherboard, it should accept at least an 8gb
or 10 gb hard drive.

Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from like
1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern CD-ROM on its 2
channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard drive.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Martik

"Brian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
> hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
> another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
> this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
> to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
> recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
> doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

Update the bios and it should recognize it.

Brian S.

yes it does have ide sockets. the hard drive is an old 5.25. It is installed
on the top of the tower. The cd rom is next along with a floppy and then
there is the power supply. it is an old compaq 5150. I guess i should
update the bios and then buy a cage to transform the 5.25 to a 3.5 bay as
the cage with the floppy drive in it only has one slot. i couldn't believe
it myself when i looked at it. But yes it is as big or bigger than a
standard cd rom drive. it takes up the whole width and length of the tower
and is an old quantum drive.

brian s.

"one_red_eye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Brian S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
> > hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
> > another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child

use
> > this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a

5.25
> > to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
> > recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and

she
> > doesn't want to pay for a controller card.
> >
> > any help would be appreciated..
> >
> > brian
> >

> If it has IDE sockets on the motherboard, it should accept at least an 8gb
> or 10 gb hard drive.
>
> Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from like
> 1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern CD-ROM on its

2
> channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard drive.
>
> --
> I saw Elvis. He sat between
> me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Blinky the Shark

one_red_eye wrote:

> Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from
> like 1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern
> CD-ROM on its 2 channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard
> drive.

I might have one or two in the closet. But what I *didn't* remember was
that they were still around by the time multi-GB IDE drives were
available. The ones I might have are/were 35MB and/or 65MB Seagates.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

one_red_eye

Brian S.

thanks, i was already looking at this before i seen your reply. with no
bios updates since 2001 i think i will just get them a used 8 gig drive. if
not i will scrap it. It really isn't worth to sink more money into this only
for the power supply to go next etc.... thanks for the help

brian
"one_red_eye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try this.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...h_page=hpcom&l
ang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_query=compaq+5150

Oldus Fartus

Brian S. wrote:

> My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
> hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has
> another brand new computer to use. But wants to let her younget child use
> this one. Do they still make 5.25 hard drives? Or should i just buy a 5.25
> to 3.5 bracket and install a 10 gig or something similiar that it will
> recognize. I tried a maxtor 40gb 3.5 and it wouldn't recognize it and she
> doesn't want to pay for a controller card.

At about six years old it sounds like it could be the old Quantum Bigfoot.

As it was just a standard IDE drive in a larger form factor you should
be fine. Even the Maxtor 40 gig should work in conjunction with a
drive overlay like Disc Wizard.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Oldus Fartus

one_red_eye wrote:

> If it has IDE sockets on the motherboard, it should accept at least an 8gb
> or 10 gb hard drive.
>
> Must be more than 6 years old. I have an old IBM 486SX (25Mhz) from like
> 1990 that happily accepts a new 3.5" hard drive and a modern CD-ROM on its 2
> channel IDE. I've never even heard of a 5.25" hard drive.

The Quantum Bigfoot were in half height 5.25" form.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

Plato

Brian S. wrote:

> My friends computer is six years old and he has a bad 5.25 8 gig quantum
> hard drive. She doesn't want to dump alot of money in it since she has

It's called the Bigfoot. Can fit in a 5 1/4 bay on any PC just like a
cdrom drive does.
Slow drives as well, some run at only 4,800 rpms.

It's perfectly standard except for the size.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/