Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win 98SE and Fonts

Win 98SE and Fonts

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

Is there a "limit" that Windows 98 SE has as to the number of fonts it can
have stored in the Fonts folder or the number it can have registered to
various programs? I may have to ask this question in a CorelDraw group, but
I thought I'd take a stab at it here first seeing as how it sounds like it's
more a Windows-based problem.

Here's the sitch: I'm working on a computer with Win 98SE, running 128MB
RAM and an unknown processor speed. I believe it has a 20GB HDD as well.
The person loaded CorelDraw 4 onto this system and set the program to "read
and access fonts from a CD-drive" and the CD is left inside the drive at all
times. So instead of actual TTF fonts inside the Win98SE Fonts folder,
there are shortcuts that point to the CD on the E-drive. I would say at
least 500 of the 1050 fonts are shortcuts and the rest are actual fonts
loaded on there. I am trying to remove these "shortcuts" so that I can
overwrite these with the actual files. But each time I try it says that
Windows may have too many fonts or the fonts are no longer good files.
They're on a CD-Rom ... they can't be bad or they'd never be able to be used
inside of the program!

Reason for this? I'm trying to upgrade this PC from Corel 4 to Corel 10 and
then to update all the files and Corel keeps asking me for "replacement"
fonts for the ones it finds as being "missing" because in Corel 10's mind
they ARE missing since this version doesn't use shortcuts any longer to
access fonts on a CD-Rom. They feel it's long since time to upgrade from
Corel 4 to Corel 10 and to bring their files up-to-date as well. Trouble is
I can't with these fonts giving me fits! Any ideas?

--
Kyle

$1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio wrote:

> Is there a "limit" that Windows 98 SE has as to the number of fonts it can
> have stored in the Fonts folder or the number it can have registered to
> various programs? I may have to ask this question in a CorelDraw group, but
> I thought I'd take a stab at it here first seeing as how it sounds like it's
> more a Windows-based problem.
>
> Here's the sitch: I'm working on a computer with Win 98SE, running 128MB
> RAM and an unknown processor speed. I believe it has a 20GB HDD as well.
> The person loaded CorelDraw 4 onto this system and set the program to "read
> and access fonts from a CD-drive" and the CD is left inside the drive at all
> times. So instead of actual TTF fonts inside the Win98SE Fonts folder,
> there are shortcuts that point to the CD on the E-drive. I would say at
> least 500 of the 1050 fonts are shortcuts and the rest are actual fonts
> loaded on there. I am trying to remove these "shortcuts" so that I can
> overwrite these with the actual files. But each time I try it says that
> Windows may have too many fonts or the fonts are no longer good files.
> They're on a CD-Rom ... they can't be bad or they'd never be able to be used
> inside of the program!
>
> Reason for this? I'm trying to upgrade this PC from Corel 4 to Corel 10 and
> then to update all the files and Corel keeps asking me for "replacement"
> fonts for the ones it finds as being "missing" because in Corel 10's mind
> they ARE missing since this version doesn't use shortcuts any longer to
> access fonts on a CD-Rom. They feel it's long since time to upgrade from
> Corel 4 to Corel 10 and to bring their files up-to-date as well. Trouble is
> I can't with these fonts giving me fits! Any ideas?
>
> --
> Kyle

Quick question, are they all .ttf fonts or are some of them Postscript
fonts? If they're .pfb, .pfm and .afm files you may need to use Adobe
Type Manager to delete them.

The following is some info I came across for uninstalling CorelDraw 4.0
from Win98, it mentions removing fonts too:

http://tinyurl.com/ytek3

I don't think CorelDraw will "upgrade" 4.0 to 10, it'll install as a
separate program. So unless you really want to keep the old version
you'll need to do this manual uninstall anyway. Probably not much help,
but maybe.

Toolman Tim

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b285ae$0$4888$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Is there a "limit" that Windows 98 SE has as to the number of fonts it can
> have stored in the Fonts folder or the number it can have registered to
> various programs? I may have to ask this question in a CorelDraw group,

but
> I thought I'd take a stab at it here first seeing as how it sounds like

it's
> more a Windows-based problem.
>
> Here's the sitch: I'm working on a computer with Win 98SE, running 128MB
> RAM and an unknown processor speed. I believe it has a 20GB HDD as well.
> The person loaded CorelDraw 4 onto this system and set the program to

"read
> and access fonts from a CD-drive" and the CD is left inside the drive at

all
> times. So instead of actual TTF fonts inside the Win98SE Fonts folder,
> there are shortcuts that point to the CD on the E-drive. I would say at
> least 500 of the 1050 fonts are shortcuts and the rest are actual fonts
> loaded on there. I am trying to remove these "shortcuts" so that I can
> overwrite these with the actual files. But each time I try it says that
> Windows may have too many fonts or the fonts are no longer good files.
> They're on a CD-Rom ... they can't be bad or they'd never be able to be

used
> inside of the program!
>
> Reason for this? I'm trying to upgrade this PC from Corel 4 to Corel 10

and
> then to update all the files and Corel keeps asking me for "replacement"
> fonts for the ones it finds as being "missing" because in Corel 10's mind
> they ARE missing since this version doesn't use shortcuts any longer to
> access fonts on a CD-Rom. They feel it's long since time to upgrade from
> Corel 4 to Corel 10 and to bring their files up-to-date as well. Trouble

is
> I can't with these fonts giving me fits! Any ideas?

I'll bite...just because I remember similar problems. Here's what I'd try:
delete the shortcuts from a DOS prompt. From the Windows shutdown menu,
select "Restart in DOS mode", then at the DOS prompt (C:>) type

cd c:\windows\fonts <enter>
del *.lnk <enter>
exit <enter>

That will delete the shortcuts from the fonts folder and restart Windows.
Now you can use Windows to install fonts from the Corel 4 CD correctly if
you want them, or install Corel 10 and let it install it's own fonts.

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:40b2a042$0$212$(E-Mail Removed), Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)>
first attempted to communicate with pen, but the writing was small, so next
used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it away, and then switched to spray
paint and stencils but the cans exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for
this:

> Quick question, are they all .ttf fonts or are some of them Postscript
> fonts? If they're .pfb, .pfm and .afm files you may need to use Adobe
> Type Manager to delete them.

All of the ones listed inside of the C:\Windows\Fonts file seemed to be
either system fonts or TTF fonts. I didn't see any fonts that ATM could
take care of.

> The following is some info I came across for uninstalling CorelDraw
> 4.0 from Win98, it mentions removing fonts too:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ytek3
>
> I don't think CorelDraw will "upgrade" 4.0 to 10, it'll install as a
> separate program. So unless you really want to keep the old version
> you'll need to do this manual uninstall anyway. Probably not much
> help, but maybe.

I learned that when I tried to upgrade it. Corel 4 is still there and now
10 is as well. My next trouble is that the saved files in 4 are not coming
over to 10 well at all. Oy ... what a mess this is becoming! Thanks for
the URL ... interesting read and I may have to pay attention to a LOT of
what's in there!

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:(E-Mail Removed), Toolman Tim
<ToolmanTim_at_charter_net_invalid> first attempted to communicate with pen,
but the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed
it away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans
exploded, so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

> I'll bite...just because I remember similar problems. Here's what I'd
> try: delete the shortcuts from a DOS prompt. From the Windows
> shutdown menu, select "Restart in DOS mode", then at the DOS prompt
> (C:>) type
>
> cd c:\windows\fonts <enter>
> del *.lnk <enter>
> exit <enter>
>
> That will delete the shortcuts from the fonts folder and restart
> Windows. Now you can use Windows to install fonts from the Corel 4 CD
> correctly if you want them, or install Corel 10 and let it install
> it's own fonts.

Trouble is that I have to install the Corel 4 fonts as well as whatever ones
that 10 has. Why? The files. Any files done in 4 will be looking for the
weird fonts and font names that came with 4 until I can convert these to 10.
And even then, the conversion is NOT going well. Most of the type is
blowing out of proportion, getting larger than before and moved all over and
sometimes even lines on top of other lines. What a mess!

Thanks for the info on the DOS idea. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Toolman Tim

<snipsky>

> Trouble is that I have to install the Corel 4 fonts as well as whatever

ones
> that 10 has. Why? The files. Any files done in 4 will be looking for

the
> weird fonts and font names that came with 4 until I can convert these to

10.
> And even then, the conversion is NOT going well. Most of the type is
> blowing out of proportion, getting larger than before and moved all over

and
> sometimes even lines on top of other lines. What a mess!
>
> Thanks for the info on the DOS idea. I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Let me know how it goes. I remember the weird font names in early Corel Draw
versions. I was very relieved when they standardized them in version. 5. I
still use version 6, and have only recently tried to convince the boss to
let me upgrade.

Toolman Tim

<snipsky>