Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > mystery phone bills

mystery phone bills

geopelia

People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in the
same house, of course)

Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just if
you leave the computer connected?

If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
your ISP, can this happen?

Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

Geopelia

Brian

No you have to be connected to the I-net to have people hacking your phone
line

Jackie

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:50lsc.9439$(E-Mail Removed)...
> People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
> made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in

the
> same house, of course)
>
> Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
> happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just

if
> you leave the computer connected?
>
> If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
> your ISP, can this happen?
>
> Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
>
> Geopelia

Your computer must be connected via your modem to the phone line. What
happens is that while you are surfing the net you are disconnected then the
program dials another number and you do not notice what has happened. I have
a cable modem and my dial up modem is not plugged into the phone socket and
I have had my computer complaining bitterly that it could not detect a dial
tone and I never noticed that anything had been downloaded. That was before
I turned on my virus software and firewall.
Jackie

Oldus Fartus

geopelia wrote:

> People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
> made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in the
> same house, of course)
>
> Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
> happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just if
> you leave the computer connected?
>
> If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
> your ISP, can this happen?
>
> Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
>
> Geopelia

Yeah, some of those were particularly nasty little buggers. Generally
they worked by installing a dialer to a premium number (usually overseas
in our part of the world) and if you were connected would disconnect
from your normal ISP, switch off the modem speaker, and dial the premium
number. In most cases the user would be unaware of what was happening
except that all of a sudden they would be looking at porn or warez sites.

I got caught once, two or three years ago and since then have changed my
telephone service to not allow the dialling of overseas or premium
numbers on the line I use for dialup.

Programs like Spybot Search and Destroy will look for, and delete the
little buggers, and a good way to avoid them is to stay away from some
of the Warez and Porn sites.

It also doesn't hurt to disconnect your dialup line from the computer
when not actually using dialup.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus

geopelia

"Oldus Fartus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b1e56d$0$16586$(E-Mail Removed). au...
> geopelia wrote:
>
> > People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
> > made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in

the
> > same house, of course)
> >
> > Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
> > happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or

just if
> > you leave the computer connected?
> >
> > If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected

> > your ISP, can this happen?
> >
> > Sorry to ask such dumb questions.
> >
> > Geopelia
> >

> Yeah, some of those were particularly nasty little buggers. Generally
> they worked by installing a dialer to a premium number (usually overseas
> in our part of the world) and if you were connected would disconnect
> from your normal ISP, switch off the modem speaker, and dial the premium
> number. In most cases the user would be unaware of what was happening
> except that all of a sudden they would be looking at porn or warez sites.
>
> I got caught once, two or three years ago and since then have changed my
> telephone service to not allow the dialling of overseas or premium
> numbers on the line I use for dialup.
>
> Programs like Spybot Search and Destroy will look for, and delete the
> little buggers, and a good way to avoid them is to stay away from some
> of the Warez and Porn sites.
>
> It also doesn't hurt to disconnect your dialup line from the computer
> when not actually using dialup.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Oldus Fartus

I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.

Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical stuff
yet.

Geopelia

Ionizer

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NWlsc.9470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.
>
> Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical

stuff
> yet.

The freeware SpywareBlaster can prevent dialers and other nasties like
browser hijackers from installing themselves on your system:

Regards,
Ian.

geopelia

"Ionizer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NWlsc.9470$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have PC-cillin and keep it up to date.
> >
> > Thank you everyone for your help. I don't understand all the technical

> stuff
> > yet.

> The freeware SpywareBlaster can prevent dialers and other nasties like
> browser hijackers from installing themselves on your system:
>
> Regards,
> Ian.

Thank you. Geopelia

Richard

geopelia wrote:

> People are receiving large phone bills for overseas calls they have not
> made, because somebody gets into their computers. (I don't mean kids in
> the same house, of course)

> Do you have to be on the Internet and connected to your ISP for this to
> happen? Can it happen if you are using the Internet at the time, or just
> if you leave the computer connected?

> If you leave the computer on (say to use Word) without being connected to
> your ISP, can this happen?

> Sorry to ask such dumb questions.

> Geopelia

That's what I love about cable. Auto dialers are totally useless.
Run a firewall like zone alarm and tell it not to allow access for that
program.
When it tries to connect, zone alarm will ask you if you want to allow it or
not. Say no.
Zone alarm will also tell you where to find the program and you can delete
it.

Unless you have some reason to make calls to european countries, ask your
phone company to block that privilege.

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:55:48 +0200, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>No you have to be connected to the I-net to have people hacking your phone
>line

Learn to quote, ****chops.

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett