Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Newsgroup Server - User Name

Reply
Thread Tools

Newsgroup Server - User Name

 
 
Bev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
preferences but can't see any way to change it.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joe Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004

"Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
> came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
> my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
> more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
> someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
> preferences but can't see any way to change it.


You will need to register with the newsserver or ISP which carries it.
Joe Lee

> Bev
> --
> The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
why?
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, Bev wrote:

>I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
>servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
>came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in


What is the server name?

Is it a subscription / free service?

Is the group here?
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

>my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
>more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if


NS 4.7 isn't so nice for multiple newsservers / multiple passwords.
What you may need to do is setup multiple profiles instead, with
different usernames / passwords. However this means the mail/news data
are all split from each other.


You may want to try Thunderbird
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
or any other news reader often mentioned in 24HSHD.

>someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
>preferences but can't see any way to change it.


If it's not your own ISP / password used to login then you won't get rid
of the window. Most likely NS already tried the current
password/username and it didn't work.

Me
 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.


On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Bev scrawled:

>I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
>servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
>came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
>my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
>more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
>someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
>preferences but can't see any way to change it.
>
>Bev


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
Bev wrote:

> I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
> came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
> my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
> more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
> someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
> preferences but can't see any way to change it.


> Bev
> --
> The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.


So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those wonderful
lists.
Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated since.
Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.

Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account with
that service.
But you can also try using any username and for a password use "anonymous"
or 'guest".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
"°Mike°" wrote:
>
> Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.
>
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bev scrawled:
>
> >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
> >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
> >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
> >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
> >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
> >preferences but can't see any way to change it.
> >
> >Bev

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.

Thanks for the info. Me. I found the newsgroup at the Google Advanced
Search site.

Bev
--
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sunny
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004

"Bev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "°Mike°" wrote:
> >
> > Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.
> >
> > On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Bev scrawled:
> >
> > >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> > >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
> > >came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
> > >my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
> > >more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
> > >someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
> > >preferences but can't see any way to change it.
> > >
> > >Bev

> >
> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance
> > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

>
> I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
> were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.
>
> Thanks for the info. Me. I found the newsgroup at the Google Advanced
> Search site.


msnews.microsoft.com = OK, no login username required.
news.individual.net = Username etc. will be given by e-mail, in
answer to your request to use their free server.
http://news.individual.net/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
Bev wrote:
> "°Mike°" wrote:


>> Remove the news servers/accounts that you added.


>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 07:53:56 +1200, in <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Bev scrawled:


>> >I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
>> >servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a
>> >window came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried
>> >putting in my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape
>> >4.7 - I have a more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would
>> >be grateful if someone could tell me how to get rid of this window.
>> >I've looked under preferences but can't see any way to change it.


>> >Bev


>> -- Basic computer maintenance
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html


> I thought that the news servers I added were free. The ones I added
> were news.individual.net and msnews.microsoft.com.


The first one is free, and I assume the second one is, too. But does
that mean you don't have to *register* to use them? No. I don't know
about the MS one, but you do have to register at news.individual.net.
And if you "tried putting in my usual user name", of *course* it
wouldn't work with news.individual.net, unless you'd registered that
name with them (and then used the password they sent you in email). You
don't have one username/password that magically works with the entire
universe.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary
Nigerian Scam From Space http://snipurl.com/iss419
New Windows - Don't Wait For Longhorn! http://snipurl.com/newwin
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-23-2004
Richard wrote:
>
> Bev wrote:
>
> > I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> > servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a window
> > came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried putting in
> > my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7 - I have a
> > more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be grateful if
> > someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've looked under
> > preferences but can't see any way to change it.

>
> > Bev
> > --
> > The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

>
> So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those wonderful
> lists.
> Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated since.
> Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.
>
> Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account with
> that service.
> But you can also try using any username and for a password use "anonymous"
> or 'guest".


I actually got the two servers listed from this group and didn't go to
the free list. I used my own password because I thought trying any
password just might work (just putting anything in, as per Richard's
advice).

I've never bothered with other servers before so found the advice given
here helpful. Although my server is pretty good it has been annoying
when a newsgroup I want isn't listed with them. Thanks.

Bev
--
The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-24-2004
Bev wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>>
>> Bev wrote:
>>
> >> I was looking for a particular newsgroup and added a couple of news
> >> servers. I found the newsgroup but when I tried to access it a
> >> window came up saying 'user name for news server access'. I tried
> >>putting in my usual user name but it didn't work. I use Netscaape 4.7
> >>- I have a more recent one but don't like the lay-out. I would be
> >>grateful if someone could tell me how to get rid of this window. I've
> >>looked under preferences but can't see any way to change it.

>>
> >> Bev
> >> --
> >> The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.

>>
>> So you went searching for "free" news servers and found all those
>> wonderful lists. Those lists are 5 years old and have not been updated
>>since. Most of those listed require an account with a username/password.
>> Whenever that window pops up, it's because you do not have an account
>> with that service. But you can also try using any username and for a
>>password use "anonymous" or 'guest".


> I actually got the two servers listed from this group and didn't go to
> the free list. I used my own password because I thought trying any
> password just might work (just putting anything in, as per Richard's
> advice).


> I've never bothered with other servers before so found the advice given
> here helpful. Although my server is pretty good it has been annoying
> when a newsgroup I want isn't listed with them. Thanks.


If you're trying out the server from "DE", that is a free one, you must
contact them and they will send you a username/password.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
user.identity.name returns old AD user name Antonio O''Neal ASP .Net Security 5 11-03-2008 12:27 PM
Newbies Please Read: This is NOT a Windows Vista Newsgroup, it is however a Windows XP X64 Edition Newsgroup. Windows 64bit 16 06-27-2006 03:17 PM
print("my name is {name}, and {age}-year old {gender}", name, age, gender); =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?= Java 7 01-02-2006 04:39 PM
HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name AND Context.User.Identity.Name; nalbayo ASP .Net 2 11-11-2005 11:12 PM
What is the server name of this newsgroup? Joon-ho Ryu C++ 1 08-07-2003 07:10 AM



Advertisments