Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > networking 2 routers

networking 2 routers

dfghjk

how can I connect 2 wireless routers to access both a cable modem and
the other computers.

I have 2 connected and my laptop can access either wireless.
Either access will get me to the internet.
But if I access the second one I can't get to the other computer which
is on the first one.

the WAN port of the second is connected to a port on the first.
the first one is connected to the cable modem.

this is just an experiment, what I want to do is to connect this
wireless to a DSL modem to expand it.

I figured the process is the same.

thanks

why?

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:08:51 GMT, dfghjk wrote:

>how can I connect 2 wireless routers to access both a cable modem and
>the other computers.

You don't say if either router has a brand / model or hardwired WAN/LAN
ports. Can guess a bit from what you say later.

>I have 2 connected and my laptop can access either wireless.

Connected how?

>Either access will get me to the internet.
>But if I access the second one I can't get to the other computer which
>is on the first one.

Are the routers on the same network address / subnet masks?

>the WAN port of the second is connected to a port on the first.

That works, at least for

CM -> router (in WAN port/out LAN port) -> wireless router (in WAN port)

The 1st router LAN side 192.168.0.x (Netgear) addresses and LAN side on
the Belkin is 192.168.2.x.
The Belkin wireless, WAN port is set to static IP 192.168.0.254 , within
the range of the Netgear addresses.

I think this worked PC to PC, I wasn't interested in that only Internet
access but I am sure I could browse a PC on the 1st router as I most
likely installed some software.

>the first one is connected to the cable modem.

Another option may to be swap the 2nd router for an WAP instead, that
way you won't have 2 networks and that does work without any problems.

I guess another way is to set up a ad-hoc network is it called?

>this is just an experiment, what I want to do is to connect this
>wireless to a DSL modem to expand it.
>
>I figured the process is the same.

You may get some clue from searching www.google.com most likely it's
been setup like that before.

Networking sites / tutorials / info.

http://www.helmig.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://networking.ittoolbox.com/
http://smallnetbuilder.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/

Me

127.0.0.1

"dfghjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how can I connect 2 wireless routers to access both a cable modem and
> the other computers.
>
> I have 2 connected and my laptop can access either wireless.
> Either access will get me to the internet.
> But if I access the second one I can't get to the other computer which
> is on the first one.
>
> the WAN port of the second is connected to a port on the first.
> the first one is connected to the cable modem.
>
> this is just an experiment, what I want to do is to connect this
> wireless to a DSL modem to expand it.
>
> I figured the process is the same.
>
> thanks

make sure both routers point to your isp's dns server...
also, to not confuse yourself, give them different subnets (192.168.0.xxx
192.168.1.xxx)
and disable all firewalls whilt configuring your network.
pay attention to the routers ports (some have crossover connections to
connect with other routers/switches).

-a|ex