Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't seem to boot from XP install CD (after botched Linux install)

Can't seem to boot from XP install CD (after botched Linux install)

Cloud Burst

Hi.

My friend tried to install Linux on his XP box. In the process,
(1) he lost the Windows MBR and (2) the Linux partition was too
small, so it's no good either and won't run.

We tried to boot with the XP install disk, but the incomplete
Linux OS always starts instead.

I know the CD drive will boot, because we boot the Linux install
CD there.

At this point, we've tried to redo the partitioning with the
Linux install disk.

Anyway, how can we reboot to XP (from the Win XP Pro install CD
would be our first choice, so we can do an update/reinstall and
fix the MBR) ?

Wiping the system is our last choice since he has some data he
needs to get off the XP...

Thanks.

Unk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 05:59:52 GMT, Cloud Burst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>My friend tried to install Linux on his XP box. In the process,
>(1) he lost the Windows MBR and (2) the Linux partition was too
>small, so it's no good either and won't run.
>
>We tried to boot with the XP install disk, but the incomplete
>Linux OS always starts instead.
>
>I know the CD drive will boot, because we boot the Linux install
>CD there.
>
>At this point, we've tried to redo the partitioning with the
>Linux install disk.
>
>Anyway, how can we reboot to XP (from the Win XP Pro install CD
>would be our first choice, so we can do an update/reinstall and
>fix the MBR) ?
>
>Wiping the system is our last choice since he has some data he
>needs to get off the XP...
>
>Thanks.

Have you changed the BIOS to boot to the CD first?
If your BIOS has 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot choices, change them ALL to the CD.

When you finally get to the CD, you'll need to run the Recovery Console to
fix the MBR. http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm
See the section: How to Repair the Boot Sector, and substitute 'FIXMBR' for
the 'FIXBOOT' command.

HOW TO: Install the Windows Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216417

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654#4

How To Create a Set of Emergency Floppies - If your computer can not boot
from a CD-Rom create a 6 floppy disk set that corresponds to your version of
Windows XP
XP Home - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseid=33290
XP Pro - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseid=33291

Cloud Burst

Thank you very much.

Unk

On Sat, 22 May 2004 14:34:17 GMT, Cloud Burst <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

In the future, could you please include some of the message you are
responding to, in your reply? That way, all can benefit from the solution.
(Tools, Options, "Send" tab, check the "Include message in Reply" box.)

Re: Eight Botched Environmental Forecasts Ferd Berfle Computer Support 31 01-07-2011 12:26 AM
botched debian install Du De Ruby 2 06-23-2008 06:50 PM
MS: "We really botched this." Blinky the Shark Computer Support 15 02-14-2008 06:54 PM
MS has botched the Wireless networking DCHP =?Utf-8?B?RC4gTW9vcmU=?= Wireless Networking 2 09-07-2004 06:03 PM
Botched 2501 image upgrade virgilv Cisco 2 02-25-2004 01:36 AM

Advertisments