Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD WRITING - VERSION 3

Reply
Thread Tools

CD WRITING - VERSION 3

 
 
Jonnybobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004
Also,
RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.

The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
work

IE

When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
from when they started at our school.

So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.

Again another bummer!!!!

Cheers
JOhn







 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
olfart
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004

"Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SMvrc.734$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Also,
> RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
>
> The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
> work
>
> IE
>
> When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
> from when they started at our school.
>
> So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
>
> Again another bummer!!!!
>
> Cheers
> JOhn
>
>


Whoever in the school dreamed this up needs to have a urine test ASAP.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jonnybobs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004
Well, its a good idea in theory, But it needs to be better planned. But
right now, I have a box of 200 Cdrw's in my office waiting to be burned.!!

The thought of drag, drop, burn and then eject 185 times is quite scary
unless I can come up with a time effective plan!

Is there not a software about that you can semi Automate so that all i need
to do is just change CD every 2 mins?

John

"olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SMvrc.734$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Also,
> > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
> >
> > The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their

current
> > work
> >
> > IE
> >
> > When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their

work
> > from when they started at our school.
> >
> > So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
> >
> > Again another bummer!!!!
> >
> > Cheers
> > JOhn
> >
> >

>
> Whoever in the school dreamed this up needs to have a urine test ASAP.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004
I have a lot of free time, so send me a link to the files and I'll do it for
$2/CD!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Martell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004
"Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Also,
> RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
>
>The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
>work
>
>IE
>
>When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
>from when they started at our school.
>
>So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
>
>Again another bummer!!!!
>


Wouldn't worry about that one too much.

DVD burners are now priced close to where CD burners were 2 years ago.
(And CD burners are now priced where CD readers were 2 years ago,)

So before your data gets too large to fit each student onto a CD you
will probably have a DVD burner available.

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-21-2004
Jonnybobs wrote:

> Also,
> RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
>
> The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all their current
> work
>
> IE
>
> When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of their work
> from when they started at our school.
>
> So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5 years!.
>
> Again another bummer!!!!
>


There is no way that these CDs are going to survive 5 years
of handling. Use write-once and hand out a new CD every
year. RW disks are more problem than they are worth for this
application and write-once will be cheaper.

So each year you only have to write out the year's work. By
the end of 5 years, each student will have 5 CDs (They would
probably have got through 5 CDs anyway).

Anyhow, if you are doing this year on year, you can surely
justify the cost of a hopper-fed writer, especially if you
really must individualise each CD.

Have you any estimate of the space, compressed and normal,
that each student is going to need? Have you thought of
using a DVD writer instead, if capacity is a problem? Have
you thought about the unfairness for those students whose
families can't afford a computer? You /do/ realise how
vulnerable dye-based CDs are compared to mass produced ones?
Have you thought about putting their work on a web server,
(maybe password protected for each of them) instead of CDs?
Have you asked parents what they prefer? How about a format
that could be used on a standard DVD player?





 
Reply With Quote
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2004
"Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, its a good idea in theory, But it needs to be better
> planned. But right now, I have a box of 200 Cdrw's in my office
> waiting to be burned.!!
>
> The thought of drag, drop, burn and then eject 185 times is quite
> scary unless I can come up with a time effective plan!
>
> Is there not a software about that you can semi Automate so that
> all i need to do is just change CD every 2 mins?
>
> John


Why are you starting 3 threads about the same subject?


> "olfart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:SMvrc.734$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Also,
>> > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
>> >
>> > The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with all
>> > their

> current
>> > work
>> >
>> > IE
>> >
>> > When they leave our school they will have a complete CD full of
>> > their

> work
>> > from when they started at our school.
>> >
>> > So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5
>> > years!.
>> >
>> > Again another bummer!!!!
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > JOhn
>> >

>> Whoever in the school dreamed this up needs to have a urine test
>> ASAP.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Linda
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2004
How do you do that? Crush each student & spread him/her on,
or is there another technique that would be easier to get a
student onto a CD?

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jonnybobs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Also,
> > RE:- CD WRITING - VERSION 2 / This is a hard one.
> >
> >The CD's need to be kept and updated once per year with

all their current
> >work
> >
> >IE
> >
> >When they leave our school they will have a complete CD

full of their work
> >from when they started at our school.
> >
> >So I Also need to keep in mind the SPACE on the CD over 5

years!.
> >
> >Again another bummer!!!!
> >

>
> Wouldn't worry about that one too much.
>
> DVD burners are now priced close to where CD burners were

2 years ago.
> (And CD burners are now priced where CD readers were 2

years ago,)
>
> So before your data gets too large to fit each student

onto a CD you
> will probably have a DVD burner available.
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't

eat much."


 
Reply With Quote
 
docmill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2004
"Linda" <somewhere.in.the@barossa> wrote in news:fJxrc.2151$L.1287@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

> How do you do that? Crush each student & spread him/her on,
> or is there another technique that would be easier to get a
> student onto a CD?
>

It's in the manual for Version 3.
The rest of them are still using Version 2.
How did you get ahead of them?


--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
docmill's Home Of HotLinks In The Frying SPAM
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? MowGreen [MVP] ASP .Net 5 02-09-2008 01:55 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? PA Bear [MS MVP] ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 03:28 AM
Re: Where to get stand alone Dot Net Framework version 1.1, version 2.0, version 3.0, version 3.5, version 2.0 SP1, version 3.0 SP1 ? V Green ASP .Net 0 02-05-2008 02:45 AM
Writing rss version tag jimAH XML 6 04-28-2006 09:43 AM
Any problems with writing the information into a file - Multi-users perform writing the same file at the same time ???? HNguyen ASP .Net 4 12-21-2004 01:53 PM



Advertisments