Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New download procedure for AVG free version.

New download procedure for AVG free version.

Ron Martell

AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.

Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
needed to complete the install.

The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.

When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
has the serial number needed for the install.

When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
read the rest of the page.

Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
everything went smoothly.

There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
- the procedure must be fully automated.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Ron Martell wrote:

> AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
>
> Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
> start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
> needed to complete the install.
>
> The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
> registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
> a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
>
> When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
> has the serial number needed for the install.
>
> When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
> time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
> few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
> automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
> the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
> read the rest of the page.
>
> Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
> everything went smoothly.
>
> There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
> - the procedure must be fully automated.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Good thing I have the AVG v6 file in about twelve different storage
places. Just run the install program, put in the same serial number I've
used a couple of hundred times and tell it to update. Voila, the
customer's computer is all up to date. I encourage the customer to
download and register their own copy but I find that 90% of the time
they don't go to the trouble and end up screwed with viruses again.

Ron Martell

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ron Martell wrote:
>
>> AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
>>
>> Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
>> start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
>> needed to complete the install.
>>
>> The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
>> registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
>> a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
>>
>> When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
>> has the serial number needed for the install.
>>
>> When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
>> time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
>> few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
>> automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
>> the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
>> read the rest of the page.
>>
>> Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
>> everything went smoothly.
>>
>> There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
>> - the procedure must be fully automated.
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

>Good thing I have the AVG v6 file in about twelve different storage
>places. Just run the install program, put in the same serial number I've
>used a couple of hundred times and tell it to update. Voila, the
>customer's computer is all up to date. I encourage the customer to
>download and register their own copy but I find that 90% of the time
>they don't go to the trouble and end up screwed with viruses again.

Install the free AVG Update Reminder utility and set it for a 3 or 4
day interval. I have started adding it to my customer's systems

http://members.tripod.com/cwaldman/A...VGUpdater.html

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

Hamman

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
>
> Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
> start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
> needed to complete the install.
>
> The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
> registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
> a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
>
> When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
> has the serial number needed for the install.
>
> When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
> time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
> few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
> automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
> the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
> read the rest of the page.
>
> Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
> everything went smoothly.
>
> There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
> - the procedure must be fully automated.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --

AVG has to be the most 'relaxed' anti-virus software i've ever used.
After a month of running it on my server, it had managed to miss 14 viruses,
which norton found near instantly.
Once again it seems its not a good idea to cheap-out on security.
Anyway, Norton Corp is running fine alongside ZA Pro without too much drain
on the system so im happy.

hamman

Robert de Brus

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Hamman <****(E-Mail Removed)> typed
|| "Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
||| AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of
||| AVG6.
||| Previously when you completed the registration form the download
||| would start automatically and you were sent an email with the
||| serial number needed to complete the install.
||| The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
||| registration form you are sent the first email. That email
||| contains
||| a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
||| When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
||| has the serial number needed for the install.
||| When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
||| time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
||| few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for
||| the automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I
||| noticed the page had no link to click on to start the download
||| manually. So I read the rest of the page.
||| Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
||| everything went smoothly.
||| There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from
||| AVG - the procedure must be fully automated.
||| Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
||| --
|| AVG has to be the most 'relaxed' anti-virus software i've ever used.
|| After a month of running it on my server, it had managed to miss 14
|| viruses, which norton found near instantly.
|| Once again it seems its not a good idea to cheap-out on security.
|| Anyway, Norton Corp is running fine alongside ZA Pro without too
|| much drain on the system so im happy.
|| hamman

Hmmm, well I could say the same for McAfee and NAV. I've installed AVG Free
on many systems that were already running McAfee, VET, NAV, and others, and
found viruses that had been missed.

Each to their own. If one's sensible one shouldn't need to worry to much.

Bucky Breeder

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
>
> Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
> start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
> needed to complete the install.
>
> The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
> registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
> a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
>
> When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
> has the serial number needed for the install.
>
> When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
> time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
> few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
> automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
> the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
> read the rest of the page.
>
> Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
> everything went smoothly.
>
> There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
> - the procedure must be fully automated.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Hello Mr. Martell! *Thank* *you* very much for the heads-up!

I've read the current thread and will add a little personal-experience
feedback for the benefit of those folks who may be interested.

1. I've tried several of the AV programs out there, both the pay-fer
versions and the freebies (anyone still remember IPE and the community that
built up around it - 2 minutes into an update and *it* *was* *posted*
*everywhere* *from* *all* *over* our big blue marble?) and AVG has been as
good to me as any - but like all of them, you really have to keep them
diligently updated - and even then: (especially if you're a pioneer-type or
cruise around some the grayer areas of the WWW - like ?? KaZaA ??) you're
likely to get one of the newer versions of a virus - until the ICSA groups
first discover it - and then fomulate a fix - and then distribute the
remedy. I've concluded that AVG free as good as any - whereas I really
don't need to protect a server or anything like that. Workstations and
small home networks = "free is good." ;-> And in the case of AVG, "free is
well-certified, well-credentialized" and has been gooohhhddd too mee.

http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php

2. Since I frequently either install or reinstall Windows on different
machines and/or configurations, I like to keep a relatively current version
of AVG-Free downloaded, onhand, archived, so I don't have to go out
unprotected and do the old register/download/email/install process - which
is now the 'new and improved' register/email/email/download/install process
- and then when I update it there is only a very small file involved at
worst case scenario. (In that regard, Grisoft's policy of registering
before every program download is a bit cumbersome - but hey, free is after
all free; and free is good for me.) So, I am most grateful for the heads-up
because I do so many things routinely (by rote) anymore, that I'm quite
sure I may have sat there and wasted valuable time and nervous energy
wondering if I may have screwed something up in the installation process --
and gone spelunking through all my Internet Connections and Network
Connections searching for a glitch. <whew> It happens...

3. I should emphasize as well, that AV defenses is only *1* tactic I use to
protect all my data and time and work from malware. A thourough and
diligent back-up stategy is essential to my operations and peace of mind. I
regularly backup data files, and routinely image my drives *just* *in*
*case*! It may seem like a lot of time - but I view it as well-invested
time. So would most folks, if they ever got afflicted; there was no current
AV fix available yet while the whole world was searching and notifying us
users to "just hold on" (remember the early Nimda flavors???); So all they
had to do was backup to a [progressively] previous image to only lose a
couple of days of drive changes - then overwrite a few of the data backups
- thus losing very little but time instead of running untold hazards
waiting for a remedy. After a while the backing up gets pretty routine so
the time factor is very negligible. To me, anyway.

Anyway, thank you for your kind consideration and taking the time from your
busy schedule to post an item of interest so that all of us might benefit.

Sincerely,

Lucky Bucky
--
I'm as confused as a hungry baby in a topless club.