Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Keyboard and windows startup problem

Keyboard and windows startup problem

Hugh McGahon

Spec:
Athlon 2500+
Gigabyte 7N400L Motherboard
Crucial 512 PC2700 RAM
Leadtek Ti4200 Graphics
Audigy 2 Sound
Windows 2000 professional OS

My problems started with a slow boot up. i then tried to install a Usb
Irda device via the USB port. Windows picked it up as a generic hard
drive, tried to unplug the device because the installation wasnt a
success and subsequently locked up.

On rebooting windows, the boot process went as far as the login screen
and locked up. On rebooting again the same happened. When i tried to
reboot in safe mode (hit F8 on boot) my keyboard wouldnt work, i
rebooted tried to enter the bios and it bacame apparant that my
keyboard wasnt functioning yet no warning was given. I tried another
keyboard but the computer (from switching on the machine) will not
recognise the keyboard meaning i cannot get in to the bios or try to
boot windows from safe mode.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am left with little option
but to get a new motherboard and hard drive and start from scratch.

Cheers