Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive

I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive

If you think it good?

I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive
which has Windows 98 installed on it.
The XP machine is NTFS and the Windows 98 machine is FAT 32.

Will I be able to copy files from the Win 98 machine over onto the XP
machine?

--
Gareth Slee

Stupid gravity!
Homer Simpson: (Falling out of treehouse)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

If you think it good? wrote:

> I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive
> which has Windows 98 installed on it.
> The XP machine is NTFS and the Windows 98 machine is FAT 32.
>
> Will I be able to copy files from the Win 98 machine over onto the XP
> machine?

Yes. You'll be able to transfer files back and forth with no problem as
long as you boot up from the XP drive. But if you boot up from the Win98
drive you won't get far.

Unk

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:53:55 -0700, "If you think it good?"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive
>which has Windows 98 installed on it.
>The XP machine is NTFS and the Windows 98 machine is FAT 32.
>
>Will I be able to copy files from the Win 98 machine over onto the XP
>machine?

Yes.

Peter

Yes you will, your XP can read both NTFS and FAT32
Just make sure your jumpers on the drives are set right (master/slave or
both cable select - if you connect them on the same cable)

Good luck

Toolman Tim

"If you think it good?" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a machine running Windows XP. I'd like to fit a slave hard drive
> which has Windows 98 installed on it.
> The XP machine is NTFS and the Windows 98 machine is FAT 32.
>
> Will I be able to copy files from the Win 98 machine over onto the XP
> machine?

Yes. Be sure you have the "Master" and "Slave" jumpers set correctly if you
add the drive to the same cable as the hard drive in the XP system. And
check the CMOS setup to be sure the computer will see the hardware.