Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ebay survey...genuine or not ?

Ebay survey...genuine or not ?

michael turner

Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

The full email follows:
---------------

**Please note. Because of the way some email is processed by your service
provider, this survey invitation may be displayed on your computer before
our original email response. Please scan your current emails for our
original response. Thanks!**

Dear eBay Community member,

On 05/17/04 I replied to the email message you sent on 05/16/04. As part
of eBay's commitment to excellence, I want to make sure I met your needs
in my response.
Would you please take a minute to answer a few questions to let me know
how
I did?

http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...id=10090732***

To respond to our survey, please click on the web address above. If that
does not work, please cut and paste the entire web address into the
address field of your browser. NOTE: Please respond within five days so
that you can provide timely feedback to me. AFTER 5 DAYS, THIS INVITATION
WILL EXPIRE.

If you wish to take the survey anonymously, click the link below:

http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...32***&anon=yes

Thank you for your help!

eBay Customer Support

** An important note from the survey vendor **

In order to process your survey, we must collect personal information from
you that are protected by worldwide data protection laws. BenchmarkPortal
and its international group of partners are committed to compliance with
all laws. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure that we meet the
obligations required by country-specific legislation and the EU Directive
on Personal Data Privacy. By providing your Authorisation below, you are
allowing us to collect, process, access, and/or transport your data to a
worldwide website located in Santa Maria USA. This website will be
accessible to selected Benchmark Portalís employees worldwide and our
client eBay.

All individuals with access rights have been educated on data privacy laws
and the use of personal data, and have signed Confidential Non-Disclosure
Statements holding them accountable for compliance.

Your data will be used for the purpose of personalising our content
delivery and services to meet your individual needs based on the
information provided on our surveys. Our customised approach of providing
focused information based on the personal data you provide, will be
embraced by BenchmarkPortal and our client eBay.

Benchmark Portal will not supply your data to any third party without your
explicit Authorisation.

A copy of our Privacy Principles is available for your review. For further
information regarding our detailed Global Data Protection Policy, please
click here: http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/bmp_survey_priv.pdf .

For further information on eBay's Privacy Policy, click here:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-priv.html .

If you want to be excluded from future surveys and survey correspondence,
please click below:

http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...id=10090732***

-------------

All the links except one, are to this "benchmarkportal.com" domain and
NOT Ebay.

I haven't clicked on any of the (obfuscated in this post)
"159&user_id=10090732***" URLs in case they're some kind of affiliate
tracker, tracer, email recipiant confirmation for spammers, etc.

Who is "benchmarkportal.com" ? their web-site don't appear to be Ebay
related.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Cpt.Nemo

NOT.

"michael turner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> information regarding our detailed Global Data Protection Policy, please
> click here: http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/bmp_survey_priv.pdf .
>
> For further information on eBay's Privacy Policy, click here:
> http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-priv.html .
>

> If you want to be excluded from future surveys and survey correspondence,
> please click below:
>
> http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...id=10090732***
>
> -------------
>
> All the links except one, are to this "benchmarkportal.com" domain and
> NOT Ebay.
>
> I haven't clicked on any of the (obfuscated in this post)
> "159&user_id=10090732***" URLs in case they're some kind of affiliate
> tracker, tracer, email recipiant confirmation for spammers, etc.
>
> Who is "benchmarkportal.com" ? their web-site don't appear to be Ebay

Boomer

michael turner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey.
> And I was wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

[snip]

http://collectibles.about.com/b/a/018373.htm

Google
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-
8&q=ebay+survey&btnG=Google+Search

Richard

michael turner wrote:

> Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
> wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on
your previous answer.
Personally, I find this kind of thing totally stupid.
Cincinnati Bell would call you 3 days after you called them for any reason
and the first question was always, "Why did you call?"
Huh? Don't you people know that all ready?
From the questions I saw it appeared that the survey was just some idiot
designer's way of wasting time and space and making the boss think he was on
the job.
It serves no real purpose.
The answers to the questions should already be known to them.
Total waste of time and space.

Plato

michael turner wrote:

> http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...00232272332***

1. I hope you can tell from the URL that's its not an ebay site.

2. When you see a userID=292939339 in a URL it means the sender is
getting credit and/or commission for every dweeb that clicks the link.

3. Why dont you just delete spam and not even read it?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Richard wrote:

> Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on

You're verifying to the smammer that you are silly enough to read AND
click on links in spam email, thus you get on the "A" list which sells
for a premium and will result in tons more spam. Same thing happens if
you buy something from a telemarketer on the phone.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

michael turner

On Wed, 19 May 2004 12:00:07 -0500, Plato wrote:

> michael turner wrote:
>>
>> http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...00232272332***

> 1. I hope you can tell from the URL that's its not an ebay site.

I did, hence my comment 'All the links except one, are to this
"benchmarkportal.com" domain and NOT Ebay'.

> 2. When you see a userID=292939339 in a URL it means the sender is
> getting credit and/or commission for every dweeb that clicks the link.

That's what I thought...and I did NOT click on them.

> 3. Why dont you just delete spam and not even read it?

It's the first spam I've had in months. And as I'm a registered user on
Ebay, registered with the same email addy that the spam was sent to. I
wanted a second opinion from this group. Which I got...and I give a
thankyou to everyone who commented. )

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

michael turner

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:20:23 -0500, Richard wrote:

> michael turner wrote:
>
> > Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
> > wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

> Ok. No harm being done here. The survey asks a series of questions based on
> your previous answer.

I never gave a "previous answer" to anyone. The email was sent
unsolicited, which made me suspicious.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

SgtMinor

michael turner wrote:

> Just received an email claiming to be some kind of Ebay survey. And I was
> wondering if it was kosher or some kind of scam.

<snip>

> By providing your Authorisation below, you are
> allowing us to collect, process, access, and/or transport your data to a
> worldwide website located in Santa Maria USA.

eBay is an American company, and in Amurrica we write "authorization."
American cities are rarely, if ever, referred to by an American writer
as, say, "Chicago, United States." It's "Chicago, Illinois," and the
City/State protocol is the same for every other city.

Whenever I've received a spoofed email (and I've gotten them from eBay
and PayPal) there's almost always a major spelling error or typo, or
some stupid reference like "Santa Maria USA." Maybe it's a legal
requirement.

reid decker

The other day, I got an email, purportedly from Ebay, and which
requested my credit card number along with other personal info. Well, good
luck getting it...I don't give that out on the web.

http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...user_id=100907
32***

> To respond to our survey, please click on the web address above. If that
> does not work, please cut and paste the entire web address into the
> address field of your browser. NOTE: Please respond within five days so
> that you can provide timely feedback to me. AFTER 5 DAYS, THIS INVITATION
> WILL EXPIRE.
>
> If you wish to take the survey anonymously, click the link below:

http://ebay.benchmarkportal.com/ebay...user_id=100907
32***&anon=yes