Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Richard Grimes' book "Developing Applications With Visual Studio.NET"

Richard Grimes' book "Developing Applications With Visual Studio.NET"

Andy Turner

[Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]

I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
soon, that I should hang on for?

On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

Cheers

andyt

John Montgomery [MSFT]

I don't know about Richard's book, but I do know that second and third
editions of popular tech books are pretty common. Addison-Wesley and MSPress
(both of whom I work with) are planning second editions of various .NET
books already.

--
John
Director, Product Management

Stoyan Damov

Well, with all due respect, there's no way you've never heard of Richard's
book. It's published by Microsoft Press and is the best book (out of 3 I've
read) for Managed C++.

Cheers,
Stoyan

"John Montgomery [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I don't know about Richard's book, but I do know that second and third
> editions of popular tech books are pretty common. Addison-Wesley and

MSPress
> (both of whom I work with) are planning second editions of various .NET
> books already.
>
> --
> John
> Director, Product Management
> .NET Framework
> Microsoft

Andy Turner

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:59:53 -0700, "John Montgomery [MSFT]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know about Richard's book, but I do know that second and third
>editions of popular tech books are pretty common. Addison-Wesley and MSPress
>(both of whom I work with) are planning second editions of various .NET
>books already.

OK, cheers to all who answered. Richard himself doesn't seem to be
around, so perhaps he's busy with the second edition! I've working
through a different book at the minute, so I can afford to wait a
while and see what happens. Though I might try contacting Richard
directly, I just figured I'd try a less entrusive route first.

andyt

Richard Grimes [MVP]

Andy Turner wrote:
> [Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]
>
> I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
> from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
> The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
> stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
> This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
> soon, that I should hang on for?

I haven't updated the book for v1.1, but for the second printing I did do an
update for erata from the first printing. I have a vague idea to do a 2nd
edition for Whidbey, but that will be a long way off (and I really do need
some persuading).

I have done a 2nd edition for my Managed C++ book where I added the new
features that appeared in VS.NET 2003 (Everett).

> On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
> where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
> procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
> new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

It depends on the book. On the one hand its not nice letting a book die (as
my ATL books have had to, because I don't think there is enough of a market
for me to spend the effor updating them). On the other hand, if the
publisher thinks there is a market, then its worth the effort on commercial
grounds.

For example, an update for my AW book for Whidbey will actually be a total
rewrite. When you consider that for the original book I spent 18 months
working with .NET before I started writing, and then a solid 6 months of
writing followed by 3 months of editing, you'll consider that the book was a
considerable effort and the royalties needed to reflect that. Also, I needed
some income during that time (OK the initial 18 months were funded by
royalties from my other books and .NET articles and talks at conferences),
and few publishers are likely to pay an advanced that is equivalent to 6
months of a developer's income (for example).

With a few notable exceptions I guess most tech books are labours of love
rather than commercial undertakings. Now that the US economy is so bad I
would imagine that it is more a labour of love these days.

Richard
--
my email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) is encrypted with ROT13 (www.rot13.org)

John Montgomery [MSFT]

I didn't say I hadn't *heard* about it; I meant to say I didn't know when it
would be published.

--
John
Director, Product Management
..NET Framework
Microsoft

Andy Turner

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:31:42 -0000, "Richard Grimes [MVP]" <read my
sig> wrote:

>Andy Turner wrote:
>> [Hopefully Richard can answer this one himself!]
>>
>> I'm thinking of buying this book because I like the angle it's coming
>> from and I found his previous DCOM book more enlightening than most.
>> The thing is, it's 18 months old now (an age in .NET terms!), and some
>> stores (such as www.compman.co.uk) only list is as on special order.
>> This leads me to wonder whether there is a second edition due out
>> soon, that I should hang on for?

>I haven't updated the book for v1.1, but for the second printing I did do an
>update for erata from the first printing. I have a vague idea to do a 2nd
>edition for Whidbey, but that will be a long way off (and I really do need
>some persuading).

OK, cheers for that Richard. I'll look into buying the original
edition, though I'll wait until I've finished with the book I'm
currently ploughing through, and then I suspect yours will add more
detail and depth.

>> On a more general note, I've got a couple of older edition books,
>> where I'd quite like the newer editions. Do publishers ever do upgrade
>> procedures, where I send in my old book and pay a little fee for the
>> new one, or do I just have to try and flog the old one on eBay?

>It depends on the book. On the one hand its not nice letting a book die (as
>my ATL books have had to, because I don't think there is enough of a market
>for me to spend the effor updating them). On the other hand, if the
>publisher thinks there is a market, then its worth the effort on commercial
>grounds.

Yeah, fair enough on the ATL books because ATL isn't really a moving
technology anymore. but of course .NET is.

Cheers for the reply.

andyt