Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hey Presto! - disappearing posts

Hey Presto! - disappearing posts

Lez Hammans

Haven't had a lot to do with newsgroups so I'm probably doing something (if
not everything!) wrong.

I use Microsoft Outlook Newsreader.

In the Folder pane on the left there are 'Local Folders' (containing Outbox,
Sent Items etc.); blueyonder News (containing this Newsgroup, alt.computer
etc.); microsoft News (containing microsoft.public.windowsme.display etc.);
serif News (containing SerifPagePlus etc.)

What I don't understand is why some newsgroup post headers will only go back
3 days (today on alt. computer for example it shows 16th - 18th May,
tomorrow it will only show 17th - 19th May) whereas on the SerifPagePlus
newsgroup, headers go back 2 years (there are >11,000 of them!).

Is this due to criteria created by the newsgroups themselves or is each
newsgroup's criteria settable locally?

It's particularly frustrating as the topics I'm trying to follow in the
Maths and Computer newsgroups are the ones that disappear the quickest.

I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.

Lez

Trent SC

The issue you're getting at is referred to as retention, and is controlled
by the organisation that you go to for your news. So Blueyonder will have
made a decision about how many days worth of posts they'll keep, as will
Microsoft, Serif, and so on.

If you want to see an archive of posts, go to Google and click on the Groups
link.

"Lez Hammans" <LezH(takethisout)@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:jGnqc.12375$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Haven't had a lot to do with newsgroups so I'm probably doing something

(if
> not everything!) wrong.
>
> I use Microsoft Outlook Newsreader.
>
> In the Folder pane on the left there are 'Local Folders' (containing

Outbox,
> Sent Items etc.); blueyonder News (containing this Newsgroup, alt.computer
> etc.); microsoft News (containing microsoft.public.windowsme.display

etc.);
> serif News (containing SerifPagePlus etc.)
>
> What I don't understand is why some newsgroup post headers will only go

back
> 3 days (today on alt. computer for example it shows 16th - 18th May,
> tomorrow it will only show 17th - 19th May) whereas on the SerifPagePlus
> newsgroup, headers go back 2 years (there are >11,000 of them!).
>
> Is this due to criteria created by the newsgroups themselves or is each
> newsgroup's criteria settable locally?
>
> It's particularly frustrating as the topics I'm trying to follow in the
> Maths and Computer newsgroups are the ones that disappear the quickest.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.
>
> Lez

Stickems

Tools/Options/Maintenance/ untick the obvious

"Lez Hammans" <LezH(takethisout)@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:jGnqc.12375$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Haven't had a lot to do with newsgroups so I'm probably doing something

(if
> not everything!) wrong.
>
> I use Microsoft Outlook Newsreader.
>
> In the Folder pane on the left there are 'Local Folders' (containing

Outbox,
> Sent Items etc.); blueyonder News (containing this Newsgroup, alt.computer
> etc.); microsoft News (containing microsoft.public.windowsme.display

etc.);
> serif News (containing SerifPagePlus etc.)
>
> What I don't understand is why some newsgroup post headers will only go

back
> 3 days (today on alt. computer for example it shows 16th - 18th May,
> tomorrow it will only show 17th - 19th May) whereas on the SerifPagePlus
> newsgroup, headers go back 2 years (there are >11,000 of them!).
>
> Is this due to criteria created by the newsgroups themselves or is each
> newsgroup's criteria settable locally?
>
> It's particularly frustrating as the topics I'm trying to follow in the
> Maths and Computer newsgroups are the ones that disappear the quickest.
>
> I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.
>
> Lez

Lez Hammans

Great tip about Google, thanks.

"Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kSnqc.5667$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> The issue you're getting at is referred to as retention, and is controlled
> by the organisation that you go to for your news. So Blueyonder will have
> made a decision about how many days worth of posts they'll keep, as will
> Microsoft, Serif, and so on.
>
> If you want to see an archive of posts, go to Google and click on the

Groups
> link.
>
> "Lez Hammans" <LezH(takethisout)@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:jGnqc.12375$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Haven't had a lot to do with newsgroups so I'm probably doing something

> (if
> > not everything!) wrong.
> >
> > I use Microsoft Outlook Newsreader.
> >
> > In the Folder pane on the left there are 'Local Folders' (containing

> Outbox,
> > Sent Items etc.); blueyonder News (containing this Newsgroup,

alt.computer
> > etc.); microsoft News (containing microsoft.public.windowsme.display

> etc.);
> > serif News (containing SerifPagePlus etc.)
> >
> > What I don't understand is why some newsgroup post headers will only go

> back
> > 3 days (today on alt. computer for example it shows 16th - 18th May,
> > tomorrow it will only show 17th - 19th May) whereas on the SerifPagePlus
> > newsgroup, headers go back 2 years (there are >11,000 of them!).
> >
> > Is this due to criteria created by the newsgroups themselves or is each
> > newsgroup's criteria settable locally?
> >
> > It's particularly frustrating as the topics I'm trying to follow in the
> > Maths and Computer newsgroups are the ones that disappear the quickest.
> >
> > I'd be grateful for any advice, thanks.
> >
> > Lez

Lez Hammans

Thanks Stickems.

Yeah I did that and even livened up the 'delete messages after...' option
and elected for messages to be removed after 30 days.

I think Trent SC's 'beyond my control' answer is probably right. 3 days
doesn't seem very long though!

Thanks again -

Lez

newsapqc.271$es.64@newsfe1-win...