Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Webhancer

Webhancer

_Not_Known_

Bastards!

Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed without you knowing?
How can I avoid installing it?

Thanks

°Mike°

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:26:30 +0100, in
<40a8e7b7$0$4581$(E-Mail Removed)>
_Not_Known_ scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Hywel

In article <40a8e7b7$0$4581$(E-Mail Removed)>, _Not_Known_
says...
> Bastards!
>
> Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed without you knowing?

Your lax security settings authorised the software to be installed.

> How can I avoid installing it?

Change your browser's security settings to disallow ActiveX items to be
installed without your permission.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Bucky Breeder

"_Not_Known_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:40a8e7b7$0$4581$(E-Mail Removed):

> Bastards!
>
> Is it legal for this webhancer thing to be installed
> without you knowing?
> How can I avoid installing it?
>
> Thanks

Yikes! Looks like you've been tard-jacked by a rapscallionous web operator.

Must be guessing that you're using Internet Explorer, or you wood have said
something like a clue for we the idiot-clueless that read these articles and
try to help people who like helping themselves.

It's not so legal. It's terribly immoral. It happens all the time. It's
profitable with little or no recourse or retribution.

Three things you could do:

1) Sue them! Lots of lawyers making it to the 'good life' by going after
Microsoft these days (never mind that it raises our prices a bit to purchase
the softwares in the future, enhanced, bigger and better versions), so you
could make Bill Gates the bad guy in this recurring soap opera for not
providing you with safest of default settings; or,

2) You could goto IE settings:

A) Right-Click IE desktop icon > Properties
B) Control Panel > Internet Options
C) Open IE browser > Menu Bar > Tools > Internet Options

a) "Advanced" tab
b) Untick/deselect/otherwise-uncheck *ALL* (2) options
"Install on demand ..."
c) And then,

3) Obtain and install some software defenses:

A) Ad-aware v6.0 b181 (free)

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

This, installed and updated, and run frequently, will remove
the backdoors and keys which have allowed this regretable
situation to develop and florish on your machine.

B) SpywareBlaster v3.1 (free)

This, installed and maintained with updates, will prevent most
of these nepharious meanderings by reprehensible neanderthals.