Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > unable to delete file?

unable to delete file?

eugene

I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it ever
since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try to get
rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another person or
program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the same response. I
have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once again I get the same
message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of this file?

pcbutts1

Rename it, move it to a different folder, reboot, delete.

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c88u8k$p89$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it

ever
> since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try to get
> rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another person or
> program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the same response.

> have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once again I get the

same
> message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of this file?

Richard

pcbutts1 wrote:

> Rename it, move it to a different folder, reboot, delete.

As it reports being in use, you can not rename it.

Richard

eugene wrote:

> I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it
> ever since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try
> to get rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another
> person or program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the
> same response. I have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once
> again I get the same message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of
> this file?

Run "msconfig". Check the startup tab, and both ".ini" files for references.
Delete any references.
Run"regedit" and search for any references to the file.
If you feel uncomfortable deleting the entries, modify the data by adding a
character to the front of the name.
Then try deleting the file again.

If you know where you got the video from, post the link and I'll check it
out.

°Mike°

Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
+SystemFileAssociations
+.avi
+shellex
+PropertyHandler

In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:42:12 +0000 (UTC), in
<c88u8k$p89$(E-Mail Removed)>
eugene scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:54:45 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard scrawled:

> eugene wrote:
>
> > I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it
> > ever since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try
> > to get rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another
> > person or program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the
> > same response. I have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once
> > again I get the same message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of
> > this file?

>Run "msconfig".

<snip rest of Bullis crap>

Take NO NOTICE of the dangerous advice continually
given by this moron; do so at your own risk!

--
Basic computer maintenance

eugene

thanks everybody...I got rid of it using "regedit etc)
> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
> +SystemFileAssociations
> +.avi
> +shellex
> +PropertyHandler
>
> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.
>

> On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:42:12 +0000 (UTC), in
> <c88u8k$p89$(E-Mail Removed)>
> eugene scrawled:
>
> >I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it

ever
> >since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try to

get
> >rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another person or
> >program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the same

response. I
> >have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once again I get the

same
> >message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of this file?
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Mon, 17 May 2004 12:53:29 +0000 (UTC), in
<c8ack9$r8v$(E-Mail Removed)>
eugene scrawled:

>thanks everybody...I got rid of it using "regedit etc)

>> Explorer often tries to create a preview for AVI files,
>> and this can cause problems if the file is corrupt.
>> Open your registry editor (Start / Run / regedit) to:
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
>> +SystemFileAssociations
>> +.avi
>> +shellex
>> +PropertyHandler
>>
>> In the right hand window you will see (Default) with
>> an alpha-numeric value. Delete it, or zero it.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Valverdez

Ok this may sound dumb but believe me, it's happened and often over looked
because we (techies) are always overlooking the obvious because we think,
well duh...

When you first click on a Video file in Windows Explorer, Windows is trying
to access the file to create a preview for it. Sometimes, if it is a rather
large file, this can take a like a minutes or so to finish. If you are
trying to delete the file during this process, Windows will give you the
message that the file is in use and will not allow you to delete.
Suggestion, click on the file, wait till you see that a preview has been
generated on the left and then hit SHIFT and DEL on your keyboard, this will
delete the file instead of trying to send it to the recycle bin.

Hope this helps,

Ciao,
Valverdez

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c88u8k$p89$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I recently downloaded a "video" file and have been unable to delete it

ever
> since. Under properties it is listed as "video" and each time I try to get
> rid of it, I get the message that it is being used by another person or
> program. I have tried to remove it in Safe Mode but get the same response.

> have disabled everything in Selective Start-Up and once again I get the

same
> message. Can anyone please help me to get rid of this file?

Squishy1990 Squishy1990 is offline
Junior Member

I have the same problem but my video file is an mpg.
Any help would be much appreiciated!
Squishy