Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shut down Windows XP - order which it shuts down applications

Shut down Windows XP - order which it shuts down applications

Bun Mui

Is there anyway to control the order in which Windows XP shut down the
applications. Many of the icons are on the system tray.

For instance shut off the Internet connection icon before Zone Alarm
so it would be more secure.

Because sometimes my computer freezes and I have to shut down and boot up
again since cancelling apps. from task manager doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.

Bun Mui

Ryan 8088

Erm. You aren't getting hacked while
zone alarm is off during the shutdown.
Windows keeps all other apps from
running after a shutdown is initiated.
"Bun Mui" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Is there anyway to control the order
in which Windows XP shut down the
| applications. Many of the icons are on
the system tray.

| For instance shut off the Internet
connection icon before Zone Alarm
| so it would be more secure.
|
| Because sometimes my computer freezes
and I have to shut down and boot up
| again since cancelling apps. from task
manager doesn't seem to work.

| Thanks.
|
| Bun Mui

Unk

On 16 May 2004 09:03:10 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bun Mui) wrote:

>Is there anyway to control the order in which Windows XP shut down the
>applications. Many of the icons are on the system tray.
>
>For instance shut off the Internet connection icon before Zone Alarm
>so it would be more secure.
>
>Because sometimes my computer freezes and I have to shut down and boot up
>again since cancelling apps. from task manager doesn't seem to work.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bun Mui

Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.

You can also try this to see if it eliminates the freezing:
Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.

Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

Shutdown troubleshooter for Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Resources to Help Troubleshoot Shutdown Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Obscure causes; Extremely long shutdowns that appear as freezing.....

nVidia video cards:
In Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, stop the Nvidia Driver
Helper service. (You can also get this by launching SERVICES.MSC from a Run
box.) Downloading and installing the latest Nvidia driver also solves this
problem.

Security Setting:
In Win XP Professional, the Group Policy Editor has a security option to
clear the pagefile at system shutdown. The same setting also forces the
hibernation file to be wiped at shutdown. These processes take long enough
that users may think that shutdown has hung. Since someone actually has to
have set this policy, the problem will be pretty rare, but worth mentioning.
To change the setting, click Start | Run, type GPEDIT.MSC, click OK. Drill
down to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings |
Local Policies | Security Options. In the right pane, find Shutdown: Clear
virtual memory pagefile.