Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firewall Question

Firewall Question

Alex

My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

Bucky Breeder

Alex <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
> attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
> computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
> that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

"Generic Host Processes" is C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

It has to do with the WindowsXP TCP/IP protocol and is a TCP/IP sharing
service that has been a part of Win 2000 for years. If you're running any
NAT firewalls which deal with DNS issues and routing packets, like one of
those little linksyses (linksii ?), you could try to disable it from
internet access and see what happens. Otherwise, it's just an essential
service in it's original M$ form. It does get attacked by Trojans (the
older, triter versions), but your malware defenses will likely recognize the
other footprints should that happen.

John Holmes

Alex came up with this:

> My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
> attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
> computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
> that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

I'll tell you exactly what it is. It's a remote system attempting to access
Generic Host Process for Win32 services on your computer.

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch"

Dan Shea

On Sun, 16 May 2004 10:38:57 -0400, Alex <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My firewall gives me a message saying that "A remote system is
>attempting to access Generic Host Process for Win32 services on my
>computer" Threat level Low risk. Could someone tell me exactly what
>that is? Using Norton firewall and running XP.

Without knowing exactly what port and service it was trying to get at
it's hard to say exactly what that remote system was trying to
accomplish, but it sounds like someone is trying to hack your
computer. You could trace the source IP and possibly notify the
hacker's ISP of this activity. Or you could just never permit it,
forget about it, and let your firewall do its job. If you decide to
permit it, make sure you have all the latest XP patches from
Microsoft.

Cheers,
dan

Alex

Thanks alot for the replies. I just reformatted my harddrive a few
days ago, and I am sure it is not a virus. I mean it could be but at
this point I doubt it. I'll just keep blocking it for now until I dig
a little deeper. Thanks again

Dan Shea

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:43:17 -0400, Alex <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks alot for the replies. I just reformatted my harddrive a few
>days ago, and I am sure it is not a virus. I mean it could be but at
>this point I doubt it. I'll just keep blocking it for now until I dig
>a little deeper. Thanks again

You're welcome. FWIW, I see no reason to think this is a virus.
Viruses act inside your computer; this notification is caused by an
external source.

Cheers,
dan