Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > S.M.A.R.T.

S.M.A.R.T.

Smirnoff

Win ME
The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
it?
TIA

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Smirnoff wrote:

> Win ME
> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
> was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
> Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
> it?
> TIA

Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
disk gives, amongst others:

http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html

Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.

SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

Smirnoff

PalindrÔ~╗me wrote:
> Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> Win ME
>> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
>> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
>> because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
>> running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
>> and how to enable it?
>> TIA
>>

> Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
> disk gives, amongst others:
>
> http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
>
> Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
> However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
> will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
> enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
> suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
> you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
> monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
>
> SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
> and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

Thanks for your reply.
I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive icons,
all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small squares with
different shapes in them).
Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.

philo

"Smirnoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c87c47$nti$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Win ME
> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool, because I
> was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD running hot.
> Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is and how to enable
> it?
> TIA

when your machine is booting up
you should see a message such as : press <del> to enter setup

(if you don;t see such a message, you may want to consult your manual)

if you have a S.M.A.R.T capable drive (which you probably do)
there should be an option in the bios to enable it.

it really is a good idea...
and if you ever see a S.M.A.R.T error upon bootup

be sure to get a new harddrive at once and do a data transfer

as the drive could totally fail at any time

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Smirnoff wrote:

> Palindrâ~»me wrote:
>
>>Smirnoff wrote:
>>

>>>Win ME
>>>The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
>>>From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
>>>because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
>>>running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
>>>and how to enable it?
>>>TIA
>>>

>>Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
>>disk gives, amongst others:
>>
>>http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
>>
>>Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
>>However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
>>will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
>>enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
>>suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
>>you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
>>monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
>>
>>SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
>>and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

> Thanks for your reply.
> I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
> disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive icons,
> all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small squares with
> different shapes in them).
> Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.

Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.

CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
tried it:

http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Smirnoff

Palindr?me wrote:
> Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> PalindrÔ~╗me wrote:

>>> Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
>>> disk gives, amongst others:
>>>
>>> http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
>>>
>>> Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
>>> However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
>>> will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
>>> enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
>>> suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
>>> you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
>>> monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
>>>
>>> SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
>>> and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
>> disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
>> icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
>> squares with different shapes in them).
>> Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
>>

> Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
> just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
> of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
> and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
> continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
> setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
> SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
>
> CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
> tried it:
>
> http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Thanks, just what I need.

Smirnoff

philo wrote:
> "Smirnoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c87c47$nti$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Win ME
>> The SMART facility shows as disabled when I boot up.
>> From previous posts I understand that it is a diagnostic tool,
>> because I was asked if it was enabled when I had a query about my HD
>> running hot. Could someone please explain to me exactly what it is
>> and how to enable it?
>> TIA

> when your machine is booting up
> you should see a message such as : press <del> to enter setup
>
> (if you don;t see such a message, you may want to consult your manual)
>
> if you have a S.M.A.R.T capable drive (which you probably do)
> there should be an option in the bios to enable it.
>
> it really is a good idea...
> and if you ever see a S.M.A.R.T error upon bootup
>
> be sure to get a new harddrive at once and do a data transfer
>
> as the drive could totally fail at any time

Thanks but there is no option to enter set up in boot up screen. Even
when I select step-by-step mode and enable SmartDrive cache, it still
shows disabled on next start up.
However, have taken Palindrome's advice and downloaded CNet program.
Please see link in his post.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Smirnoff wrote:

> Palindr?me wrote:
>
>>Smirnoff wrote:

>>>Thanks for your reply.
>>>I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
>>>disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
>>>icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
>>>squares with different shapes in them).
>>>Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
>>>

>>Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
>>just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
>>of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
>>and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
>>continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
>>setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
>>SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
>>
>>CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
>>tried it:
>>
>>http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

> Thanks, just what I need.

Probably not. In that many of the free ones don't have the
capability of changing the SMART status and many don't
continuously monitor. The advice you got to change the BIOS
SMART setting was spot on, if you have such a setting.
Otherwise you need something that effectively extends the BIOS.

When you get this going don't be too panicked by SMART
alarms during running - without looking at them first. A
SMART alarm on boot is very serious, as you were told. A
SMART alarm when the SMART Windows monitoring utility loads
is often normal. It will alarm because the drive temperature
has changed significantly since it was last measured (which
was probably just before the machine was last shut down,
with the drive good and warm). The one SMART parameter worth
watching is the number of spare sectors left. When these run
out, the drive will start getting visible bad blocks. If
this starts to fall on a daily/weekly basis - time for a new
drive.

Smirnoff

Palindr?me wrote:
> Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> PalindrÔ~╗me wrote:

>>> Remember that Google is your friend! A search for smart hard
>>> disk gives, amongst others:
>>>
>>> http://www.belarc.com/Drive/smart.html
>>>
>>> Some but not all BIOS setups have a setting to enable SMART.
>>> However, you will find free and not-so-free utilities that
>>> will monitor the SMART status and give you warnings. These
>>> enable SMART, even if the BIOS doesn't. You may find
>>> suitable utilities on the drive manufacturer's web site and
>>> you may already have software (eg Norton Utilities) that
>>> monitors SMART status and alarms on out of tolerance changes.
>>>
>>> SMART is particularly good at alarming on over-temperature
>>> and this has saved me quite a few drives, I believe (?)

>> Thanks for your reply.
>> I downloaded Belarc Advisor and rebooted but SMART still shows as
>> disabled and when I visit Hard Drive Check-up there are no drive
>> icons, all I see is what are referred to as "puzzle pieces" (small
>> squares with different shapes in them).
>> Have sent error report to Belarc and await reply.
>>

> Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
> just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
> of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
> and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
> continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
> setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
> SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
>
> CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
> tried it:
>
> http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Thanks again for the link.
Fortunately, I got a clean bill of health.
Strangely though, the display of results shows Drive 0 enabled. Zero? Oh
well.
Also, when I boot up SMART is still shown as disabled.
Although this program is very useful, I would still like to enable SMART
on my system.
Any further ideas?

Smirnoff

Palindr?me wrote:
> Smirnoff wrote:
>
>> Palindr?me wrote:

>>> Sorry, I hadn't intended that you download Belarc - I had
>>> just used their web page to save writing out an explanation
>>> of SMART. Belarc just does a one-shot report on your system
>>> and doesn't change anything- you want a program that runs
>>> continuously and checks SMART status every minute or so,
>>> setting off an alarm when needed (and, of course, enabling
>>> SMART, if necessary). Active SMART is one but not free.
>>>
>>> CNet has a number of free ones, here is one, but I haven't
>>> tried it:
>>>
>>> http://download.com.com/3000-2248-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

>> Thanks, just what I need.
>>

> Probably not. In that many of the free ones don't have the
> capability of changing the SMART status and many don't
> continuously monitor. The advice you got to change the BIOS
> SMART setting was spot on, if you have such a setting.
> Otherwise you need something that effectively extends the BIOS.
>
> When you get this going don't be too panicked by SMART
> alarms during running - without looking at them first. A
> SMART alarm on boot is very serious, as you were told. A
> SMART alarm when the SMART Windows monitoring utility loads
> is often normal. It will alarm because the drive temperature
> has changed significantly since it was last measured (which
> was probably just before the machine was last shut down,
> with the drive good and warm). The one SMART parameter worth
> watching is the number of spare sectors left. When these run
> out, the drive will start getting visible bad blocks. If
> this starts to fall on a daily/weekly basis - time for a new
> drive.

Seems we both posted at the same time.
There is no option to enter set up when booting.
Could you explain more about extending the BIOS please?
Thanks