Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Install ?

Hard Drive Install ?

BHOOK

Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and install
a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save my
old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy Windows
XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

Ryan 8088

From the sound of it, it seems you don't already have Windows XP in a
legalized copy. Or is it just on the manufacturer's restore disks? If so,
then you can with ease run the disks on the new hard disk and get XP on
there.
"BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RJipc.6651$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and
> install
> a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save my
> old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy
> Windows
> XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

BHOOK

No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of Windows
updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.
"Ryan 8088" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fOipc.27183$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> From the sound of it, it seems you don't already have Windows XP in a
> legalized copy. Or is it just on the manufacturer's restore disks? If so,
> then you can with ease run the disks on the new hard disk and get XP on
> there.
> "BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RJipc.6651$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and
> > install
> > a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save

my
> > old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy
> > Windows
> > XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

Sunny

Order the free CD :
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

"BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Otjpc.6769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of Windows
> updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.
> "Ryan 8088" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fOipc.27183$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > From the sound of it, it seems you don't already have Windows XP in a
> > legalized copy. Or is it just on the manufacturer's restore disks? If

so,
> > then you can with ease run the disks on the new hard disk and get XP on
> > there.
> > "BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:RJipc.6651$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and
> > > install
> > > a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and

save
> my
> > > old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy
> > > Windows
> > > XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

BHOOK

But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new one?
"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3Tjpc.15469303$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Order the free CD :
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
>
> "BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Otjpc.6769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of

Windows
> > updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.
> > "Ryan 8088" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:fOipc.27183$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > > From the sound of it, it seems you don't already have Windows XP in a
> > > legalized copy. Or is it just on the manufacturer's restore disks? If

> so,
> > > then you can with ease run the disks on the new hard disk and get XP

on
> > > there.
> > > "BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:RJipc.6651$(E-Mail Removed)...

> save
> > my

Bill

John

do a google for xxcopy it is freeware and i transferred my win98 hd to a
larger one don`t know if it works with xp though.
hth
john
"BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K%jpc.6848$(E-Mail Removed)...
> But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new

one?
> "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3Tjpc.15469303$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Order the free CD :
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
> >
> > "BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Otjpc.6769$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > No. I have a legal copy. Just don't want to have to install all of

> Windows
> > > updates again. It takes forever with a dialup connection.
> > > "Ryan 8088" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:fOipc.27183$(E-Mail Removed). com...

If
> > so,

> on

and

> > save
> > > my

buy

> Bill

---

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"BHOOK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RJipc.6651$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Please walk me through this. I want to remove my old smaller HD and

install
> a larger one. How do I go about it and get the new one to boot and save my
> old HD info.? I am using Window XP Home edition. I don't want to buy

Windows
> XP just to get a larger HD. I do have Stomp Backup Prog. Thanks. Bill

Check your software stash. A lot of recent "Norton Systemworks"
packages includes Ghost - which is just perfect for this kind of thing!

There's also Drive Image (formerly from PowerQuest, now from
Symantec also), and several others that will copy a complete WinXP install
from one disk to another.

The latest software from the drive manufacturer might also - since I
own Ghost, I use that myself.

RwP

David Wood

> But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new one?

Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to do just that. Just
set your new hard drive as master, and your old one as slave. Boot from
a startup disk with this utility (depending on what hard drive you get,
it might come with a cd that includes this), and follow the directions.

Toolman Tim

"David Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > But how do I get all the programs and stuff from the old HD to the new

one?

> Most hard drive manufacturers provide a utility to do just that. Just
> set your new hard drive as master, and your old one as slave. Boot from
> a startup disk with this utility (depending on what hard drive you get,
> it might come with a cd that includes this), and follow the directions.

It does work great. And you don't have to buy anything. If (like me) the OP
buys an OEM (white label) drive (they cost less but have little or no
warranty) instead of a retail packaged drive, they can download the software
from the drive manufacturer and use that.

oothlagre

Drive Image could not copy the GUID from 2000/XP systems unless they updated
before selling out. It won't let you log on after you run the image......

I use Norton Ghost 2003 and it is the best. You can do an image over a
network connection to a remote PC. Very cool.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...