Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick!

Croos Bustamunky

Does anyone have any experience with replacement hard drives in Compaq
computers? I recently replaced a shot hard drive (after only about 1.5
years), bought the "QuickRestore" CDs from Compaq, and attempted to reset
the new hard drive to "like new" condition. Unfortunately, the computer
would only partition and format 8Gb of the hard drive. If I remember
correctly, that's the limitation in Win-98. When I complained to Compaq,
here's what they said:

"The QuickRestore may not work after replacing the hard disk
because the QuickRestore program does not identify the new hard disk.
During the manufacturing process, an identification number (BOMID) is
written to the User Interface Area (UIA) of the hard disk. The BOMID
identifies the model of the computer in which the hard disk is installed.
Replacement hard disks do not contain this information. Therefore,
while using QuickRestore on a Compaq Presario computer that contains a
replacement hard disk, the QuickRestore program will not be able to
identify the model of the computer.

If the BOMID fails, then your new hard disk does not support the ability
to have the BOMID written to it. You will not be able to run
QuickRestore without the BOMID. Please contact the nearest Authorized
Support Providers to have a replacement hard disk installed that
supports QuickRestore."

I think they're saying I have to buy a hard drive from Compaq.

Does anyone know a workaround to get the QuickRestore CDs to restore the
replacement hard drive??

Thanks

Boomer

"Croos Bustamunky" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> Does anyone have any experience with replacement hard drives in
> Compaq computers? I recently replaced a shot hard drive (after
> only about 1.5 years), bought the "QuickRestore" CDs from Compaq,
> and attempted to reset the new hard drive to "like new" condition.
> Unfortunately, the computer would only partition and format 8Gb of
> the hard drive. If I remember correctly, that's the limitation in
> Win-98.

If you haven't already, you might want to ask over at this news group:
alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

> When I complained to Compaq, here's what they said:
>
> "The QuickRestore may not work after replacing the hard disk
> because the QuickRestore program does not identify the new hard
> disk. During the manufacturing process, an identification number
> (BOMID) is written to the User Interface Area (UIA) of the hard
> disk. The BOMID identifies the model of the computer in which the
> hard disk is installed. Replacement hard disks do not contain this
> information. Therefore, while using QuickRestore on a Compaq
> Presario computer that contains a replacement hard disk, the
> QuickRestore program will not be able to identify the model of the
> computer.
>
> If the BOMID fails, then your new hard disk does not support the
> ability to have the BOMID written to it. You will not be able to
> run QuickRestore without the BOMID. Please contact the nearest
> Authorized Support Providers to have a replacement hard disk
> installed that supports QuickRestore."
>
> I think they're saying I have to buy a hard drive from Compaq.
>
> Does anyone know a workaround to get the QuickRestore CDs to
> restore the replacement hard drive??
>
> Thanks

Ryan 8088

I was able to do it. I had to get the BOMID from compaq. The Arab tech put
me on hold for exactly 57 minutes, came back saying choose one and it should
work. Nice support, eh? You don't need a Compaq drive.
news:40a594f7$0$63094$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "Croos Bustamunky" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with replacement hard drives in
>> Compaq computers? I recently replaced a shot hard drive (after
>> only about 1.5 years), bought the "QuickRestore" CDs from Compaq,
>> and attempted to reset the new hard drive to "like new" condition.
>> Unfortunately, the computer would only partition and format 8Gb of
>> the hard drive. If I remember correctly, that's the limitation in
>> Win-98.

> If you haven't already, you might want to ask over at this news group:
> alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
>
>> When I complained to Compaq, here's what they said:
>>
>> "The QuickRestore may not work after replacing the hard disk
>> because the QuickRestore program does not identify the new hard
>> disk. During the manufacturing process, an identification number
>> (BOMID) is written to the User Interface Area (UIA) of the hard
>> disk. The BOMID identifies the model of the computer in which the
>> hard disk is installed. Replacement hard disks do not contain this
>> information. Therefore, while using QuickRestore on a Compaq
>> Presario computer that contains a replacement hard disk, the
>> QuickRestore program will not be able to identify the model of the
>> computer.
>>
>> If the BOMID fails, then your new hard disk does not support the
>> ability to have the BOMID written to it. You will not be able to
>> run QuickRestore without the BOMID. Please contact the nearest
>> Authorized Support Providers to have a replacement hard disk
>> installed that supports QuickRestore."
>>
>> I think they're saying I have to buy a hard drive from Compaq.
>>
>> Does anyone know a workaround to get the QuickRestore CDs to
>> restore the replacement hard drive??
>>
>> Thanks

compaq presario 1245 restore disk Travis Computer Support 2 09-27-2007 04:00 PM
COmpaq Quick Restore RUDY65 Software 0 08-28-2006 04:45 AM
Quick Restore for the Compaq Presario 2240 Johann Behrens Computer Support 2 02-06-2006 07:52 PM
Error Trying to Restore Compaq Laptop poweruserNOT NZ Computing 4 01-13-2006 09:56 AM
compaq presario win 98 quick restore error datsameolneveek Computer Support 33 07-31-2005 02:18 AM

Advertisments