Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > McAfee software

McAfee software

john Kerr

I bought and installed McAfee VirusScan and Firewall software. Pretty soon
if I accessed The Security Center I got a lot of error messages to eexplain
why it couldn't perform some of its functions and when I logged on I was
being told that VirusScan had expired. I tried re-installing or updating on
a number of occasion and got more error messages to say why the
re-installing/updating hadn't worked. In desperation I uninstalled both and
then tried reinstalling. I get error messages telling me that I have newer
versions (than updates!) already installed on my computer. Should I just
cut my losses and instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of
getting the McAfee ones installed and performing?

°Mike°

McAfee is pants; Norton is pants. Dump both.

Antivirus:
---------
KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

Firewall:
--------
Outpost 2.0
Outpost 1.0 (free)
www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html
Outpost Firewall Guide
http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
AGNIS for Outpost: Outpost Ad Block List
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#Outpost

Sygate
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Sat, 15 May 2004 00:23:22 +0000 (UTC), in
<c83ntq$psl$(E-Mail Removed)>
john Kerr scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

docmill

"john Kerr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c83ntq$psl$(E-Mail Removed):

> I bought and installed McAfee VirusScan and Firewall software. Pretty
> soon if I accessed The Security Center I got a lot of error messages
> to eexplain why it couldn't perform some of its functions and when I
> logged on I was being told that VirusScan had expired. I tried
> re-installing or updating on a number of occasion and got more error
> messages to say why the re-installing/updating hadn't worked. In
> desperation I uninstalled both and then tried reinstalling. I get
> error messages telling me that I have newer versions (than updates!)
> already installed on my computer. Should I just cut my losses and
> instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of getting the
> McAfee ones installed and performing?

Phone them,
Demand your money back.
Install seperate programs to do anti virus and firewall.
It seems to be a problem letting one vendor service both programs at the
same time, their confusion. There are cheaper and less heavy alternatives
available. It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you only
need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

Mellowed

need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the
public.<<<<

Interesting analogy.

news:Xns94E9AF9D0CA9nospam4docmillspamgo@216.168.3 .44...
:
: > I bought and installed McAfee VirusScan and Firewall software.
Pretty
: > soon if I accessed The Security Center I got a lot of error messages
: > to eexplain why it couldn't perform some of its functions and when I
: > logged on I was being told that VirusScan had expired. I tried
: > re-installing or updating on a number of occasion and got more error
: > messages to say why the re-installing/updating hadn't worked. In
: > desperation I uninstalled both and then tried reinstalling. I get
: > error messages telling me that I have newer versions (than updates!)
: > already installed on my computer. Should I just cut my losses and
: > instal the Symantec equivalents or have I any hope of getting the
: > McAfee ones installed and performing?
: >
: >
: >
: Phone them,
: Demand your money back.
: Install seperate programs to do anti virus and firewall.
: It seems to be a problem letting one vendor service both programs at
the
: same time, their confusion. There are cheaper and less heavy
alternatives
: available. It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you
only
: need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.
:
: --
: +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++
: docmill's Home Of HotLinks In The Frying SPAM

docmill

"Mellowed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:CDepc.9981$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net:

> need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the
> public.<<<<
>
> Interesting analogy.

You're not a PETA member are you, (think sheep are getting a bad haircut)?

--

Dan Shea

On Sat, 15 May 2004 01:10:38 -0000, docmill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>
> It's like dogs, any stud will do to make puppies, but you only
>need the high dollar fella if your gonna show them off to the public.

Remind me, I have to remember that.

Cheers,
dan