Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No Audio After Video Editing

No Audio After Video Editing

Greg

I was given a DVD with home video that was created by a service called
YesVideo. I was asked to edit out some of the lengthy scenes and
recreate a smaller DVD. The files are VOB, IFO, and BUP.

I first tried Roxio EZ CD and DVD Creator v6.1. I received a message
that the audio was in AC3 format and if I edited any files, I would
lose the sound. Sure enough, after trying to edit a VOB file, there
was no sound.

I next tried WinDVD Creator, which came with my DVD burner. After
editing some of the video, again there was no sound.

Has anyone successfully edited video files with these programs that
might know what I'm doing wrong? Or does anyone know of a program that
will allow me to edit this video and keep the sound?

Oldus Fartus

Greg wrote:

> I was given a DVD with home video that was created by a service called
> YesVideo. I was asked to edit out some of the lengthy scenes and
> recreate a smaller DVD. The files are VOB, IFO, and BUP.
>
> I first tried Roxio EZ CD and DVD Creator v6.1. I received a message
> that the audio was in AC3 format and if I edited any files, I would
> lose the sound. Sure enough, after trying to edit a VOB file, there
> was no sound.
>
> I next tried WinDVD Creator, which came with my DVD burner. After
> editing some of the video, again there was no sound.
>
> Has anyone successfully edited video files with these programs that
> might know what I'm doing wrong? Or does anyone know of a program that
> will allow me to edit this video and keep the sound?

I have successfully used DVD Shrink for this, by using the "set
start-end frames" facility.

Simplifying my method greatly, I first analyse the disc, then click on
re-author. Drag the title into the compilation window and click on the
compression tab. Right-click the title in the compilation window, and
choose set start-end frame. If, for example, you wanted to keep the
first half of the title, miss several minutes, and then start later you
would set the end frame to the frame before the one you wanted edited out.

Drag the title into the compilation windows again, and repeat the
process, but this time setting the START frame to the one after your
edited section. Repeat the process until the compilation window has
all the bits and pieces you require.

I probably haven't explained it clearly enough, it is much easier to do
than to try to explain, and has the advantage of keeping the sound
quality as required.

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus