Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Pro - setting network access for folders/drives.

XP Pro - setting network access for folders/drives.

Daniel

How do I specify network premissions for XP Pro? I've seen that XP Home
is very similar to 95/98. I go to the sharings tab of the properties file
of the folder, & have ability to try to set permissions. First of all, how
do I know the difference between another user of THAT computer & a network
access?
I click the sharing tab (in properties of the folder/drive).
I say to share this folder & set a name (comment is optional).
I ignore the number of users (self explanitory & I dont have any
restrictions).
I click on the permissions button.
I see the group of user names, it says "everyone" (only one
listed...I use only 1 login for XP Pro).
If I click on "add", I get the "select users or groups" box.
I click the "object type" button & get "built in security
principals", "groups", & "users", each with a check box by them (all checked
by default).
The "from this location" box (& "locations" button) only has
that computer's network name.
Then there is the "Enter the object names to select" box at the
bottom & the "advanced" button at the bottom (no clue what it is for).
Meanwhile in the "permissions for everyone" section (at the bottom
of the "permissions" button screen), I have "full control", "change", &
"read" with allow/deny check boxes for each, though only "read" is checked
in the allow side.
If I try to deny change, it automatically denies read as well. If I
try to allow read (with deny change checked), it unchecks both (deny read &
change) & only checks read.
Now I do understand how this works, but what is the purpose of
having CHECK BOXES for ALLOW & DENY if unchecking allow is denying?

I'm looking for more XP Home/Pro technical info (MSConfig/MSInfo32/DXDiag &
other Win98 commands...where they are in XP + other XP tools). I want HATE
the "here is how to turn on a computer" type of tutorials/technical info
(that assume you are so stupid you'd sufficate if not reminded to keep
breathing), as well as I want something that doesn't assume you wrote the
operating system. I've not yet found such information. Is there any guides
that have this type of info without having to search for every single
command/question (including the ones I can't search for due to not knowing
them anyway).

--

Daniel http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

--

There are 10 types of people in this world...
....those that understand binary & those that don't.

°Mike°

How to Share and Set Permissions for Folders and
Files Using Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ilesharing.asp

Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D13D21B48

Microsoft Windows XP - File and Folder permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...rmissions.mspx

Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?T14D53B48

Microsoft Windows XP - Special permissions for files
and folders
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...rmissions.mspx

Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?N55D21B48

Microsoft Windows XP - How inheritance affects file
and folder permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...rmissions.mspx

Shorter link: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D26D25B48

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:35:34 -0500, in