Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS MESSAGES

WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS MESSAGES

William Kinsey

I am recieving a lot of the WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS messages from
people I don't even communicate with on the Internet. Can I do something to
stop these? Does your system filter all the viruses or do I need to do
something here?

Thanks

Debi K

slumpy [not posting from @shaw.ca]

....and seconds before the explosion, William Kinsey emerged from the bunker
carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

> I am recieving a lot of the WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS
> messages from people I don't even communicate with on the Internet.
> Can I do something to stop these? Does your system filter all the
> viruses or do I need to do something here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Debi K

<pulls up chair>
<pops a bottle of beer>
<lights up>
--
slumpy
no more

Demolitio

"William Kinsey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am recieving a lot of the WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS messages

from
> people I don't even communicate with on the Internet. Can I do something

> stop these? Does your system filter all the viruses or do I need to do
> something here?
>
> Thanks
>
> Debi K

Well, for one thing, Debi, these messages you are getting are not really
from other people, rather, but from a virus, most likely Netsky variety. so,
i would reccommend you delete them immediatly.

as for getting rid of them, i suggest a good spam filter to do the trick. if
you use web-browser-based email, then i don't know what you can do save to
A) kill the idiot that made the virus in the first place or B) look to see
if your web-based email has it's own filters.

if you have a software-based email system, like outlook express, then i
reccommend you either 1) do the same as a) or 11) delete them manually, or
111) find a good spam filter to download (i reccommend K-9 Spam filter,
freeware, available at http://keir.net/k9.html . it may be a little hard at
first becasue it has to build up a database to "learn" from. it's what i use
).

hope i didn't confuse you too much

Hywel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, William Kinsey says...
> I am recieving a lot of the WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS messages from
> people I don't even communicate with on the Internet.

People just want to be friends.

> Can I do something to stop these?

Yup. Don't check your email is one option, another is to use a webmail
service to delete messages you don't want, another is to delete messages
from people you don't know...

> Does your system filter all the viruses

Mine does.

> or do I need to do
> something here?

Probably. However, you're not being sent viruses, are you? You're
being sent the warning from other users. Have you got adequate virus
protection? Are you sure your PC isn't the one doing the sending? Do
you have anti-spam measures in place? Have you posted here using your
real email address?

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

dwacon

> I am recieving a lot of the WARNING YOU WERE SENT A VIRUS messages
from
> people I don't even communicate with on the Internet.

Try spampal software to filter incoming mail. Mailwasher is another
alternative... but spampal is more hands-free IME.

--
The Naked Boy
http://www.cafeshops.com/powerpress