Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Mail Kicked Back to Me That I Never Sent

Mail Kicked Back to Me That I Never Sent

John

From time to time I get "Message Undeliverable" notices that refer to
email ostensibly from me but which I never sent. Set forth below is the
latest notice I received, this evening, along with what is puportedly
"my" original message. Is this a virus that my computer has that I am
unaware of that is sending messages addressed from me., The recipients
are NOT in my addressbook and I've never heard of them.

Thanks.

John
(E-Mail Removed)

tigercat

yeah, some viruses will make it seem like you're the one sending the
message. it doesn't mean that you have the virus, it may be that someone
who has you in their address book, got a virus that triggered the message
you received.

always better to be safe than sorry. might as well update your antivirus
def's and scan your computer, as well as use an online scan engine.

good luck.

news:O3Boc.37574$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> From time to time I get "Message Undeliverable" notices that refer to
> email ostensibly from me but which I never sent. Set forth below is the
> latest notice I received, this evening, along with what is puportedly
> "my" original message. Is this a virus that my computer has that I am
> unaware of that is sending messages addressed from me., The recipients
> are NOT in my addressbook and I've never heard of them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John
> (E-Mail Removed)

°Mike°

You will continue to be bombarded with spam and
virus/worm originated mail if you continue to post
to usenet with your email address in plain form;
even adding it to the end of your posts, ferchrisakes!

How do spammers harvest email addresses
http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html

SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

On Thu, 13 May 2004 02:29:02 GMT, in
<O3Boc.37574$(E-Mail Removed) t>
John scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

John

°Mike° wrote:
> You will continue to be bombarded with spam and
> virus/worm originated mail if you continue to post
> to usenet with your email address in plain form;
> even adding it to the end of your posts, ferchrisakes!
>
> How do spammers harvest email addresses
> http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
>
> SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Thanks, Mike.

°Mike°

On Thu, 13 May 2004 03:41:37 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
John scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> You will continue to be bombarded with spam and
>> virus/worm originated mail if you continue to post
>> to usenet with your email address in plain form;
>> even adding it to the end of your posts, ferchrisakes!
>>
>> How do spammers harvest email addresses
>> http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
>>
>> SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
>> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
>> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

>Thanks, Mike.

You're welcome, but your "munge" should come
AFTER the "@" sign, otherwise spam/worm mail
will continue to go to your mail server; you should
consider adding 'invalid' instead of 'net' to the
end of your address. If you would like people to
be able to reach you (not usually a good idea on
usenet), you can add a cryptic signature that
the automated 'bots' would not be able to read.
Something like "Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to email".
If you are wondering why I don't have mine munged,
it is because some idiot has been impersonating
me, so I set up a valid account to use, so that
he could easily be killfiled -- he would risk losing his
account if he used my valid email address.

--
Basic computer maintenance

tigercat

mike,

just wondering, but wouldn't it be fairly easy, if not common practise, for
spammers to use programs that automatically remove anything immediately
after the @ sign and before a recognized isp name, like yahoo for example.
i mean, there shouldn't be anything in between the @ sign and the isp name,
so i would think spammers can easily write a program to get around this type
of munging. also, wouldn't it be just as easy to write a program to detect
non standard domains, so if an address doesn't end in "com" or "net", etc, a
program can automatically spam the address and fill in several popular
possibilities. i know we can't get around 100% of these scenarios, but i
was just wondering how effective munging is at all, given the sophistication
of spammers now?

--

please remove "googoogaga" and change "invalid" to "com" to send message
> On Thu, 13 May 2004 03:41:37 GMT, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> John scrawled:
>
> >°Mike° wrote:
> >> You will continue to be bombarded with spam and
> >> virus/worm originated mail if you continue to post
> >> to usenet with your email address in plain form;
> >> even adding it to the end of your posts, ferchrisakes!
> >>
> >> How do spammers harvest email addresses
> >> http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
> >>
> >> SPAM - Munging Your Email Address
> >> http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
> >> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

> >Thanks, Mike.

> You're welcome, but your "munge" should come
> AFTER the "@" sign, otherwise spam/worm mail
> will continue to go to your mail server; you should
> consider adding 'invalid' instead of 'net' to the
> end of your address. If you would like people to
> be able to reach you (not usually a good idea on
> usenet), you can add a cryptic signature that
> the automated 'bots' would not be able to read.
> Something like "Replace 'invalid' with 'net' to email".
> If you are wondering why I don't have mine munged,
> it is because some idiot has been impersonating
> me, so I set up a valid account to use, so that
> he could easily be killfiled -- he would risk losing his
> account if he used my valid email address.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

If "ifs and buts"....

Just try posting "munged" and then "unmunged", preferably
from different accounts; you will see the difference.

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:23:49 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
tigercat scrawled:

--