Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New modem problem

New modem problem

J C Ames

Have:
XP Pro
256 MB memory-1.3 gh CPU
OE 6
New modem:
US Robotics 56 K External Mod USR5633A USB
Old Modem:
US Robotics 56 K external Sportster Serial connect
Old modem gave out so got a new one then the problems started.Installed
modem & it blue screened the comp 3 times.screwed with it 'till I got it
installed.
The comp would but not Windows it just sat there & ran the progression bar
ran.While the progress bar was running I can unplug the modems for a few
moments then plug it back in & windows will finish boot & the modem will
initalize.Will connect at only 31kbps.The other modem was a consistant
50kbps.Every thing the same except modem.I thought USB was faster.Any info
or help will be appreciated.
Thanks

w_tom

XP does not normally blue screen because better information
is stored in the system logs. Furthermore, normally a modem
does not crash XP. To crash XP, a modem would have to
interfere with other critical hardware.

Now for important facts. What were the error code and other
numbers in that blue screen. Remember. You don't yet want to
fix it. First you want to identify reason for failure. Is
modem defective? If not, is something else in your computer
defective.

BTW, you did remove the old modem drivers from the system
(see Device Manager) before you installed the new modem. How
was old modem damaged?

In the meantime, maybe verify hardware without the
complications of Windows. IOW break down the problem into
separate parts. An old and well proven program that runs only
in DOS is PortInfo:
http://sac-ftp.gratex.sk/comm9.html
http://filedudes.cablelan.net/win3xx.../ctsspu50.html
http://www.filelibrary.com:8080/cgi-...7/ctsspu50.zip
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/m...l/ctsspu42.zip

Boot to DOS (Command Prompt). Then connect external modem.
Then execute the PortInfo program. If a hardware problem
exists, either you can talk to the hardware (see electrons
with your eyes or speculate what they are doing), or your CPU
talks directly to hardware (how problems are really
identified) and tells you what is really happening. PortInfo
goes one step farther. It also offers suggestions and
solutions.

J C Ames wrote:
> Have:
> XP Pro
> 256 MB memory-1.3 gh CPU
> OE 6
> New modem:
> US Robotics 56 K External Mod USR5633A USB
> Old Modem:
> US Robotics 56 K external Sportster Serial connect
> Old modem gave out so got a new one then the problems
> started.Installed modem & it blue screened the comp 3
> times.screwed with it 'till I got it installed.
> The comp would but not Windows it just sat there & ran the
> progression bar ran.While the progress bar was running I can
> unplug the modems for a few moments then plug it back in &
> windows will finish boot & the modem will initalize.Will
> connect at only 31kbps.The other modem was a consistant
> 50kbps.Every thing the same except modem.I thought USB was
> faster.Any info or help will be appreciated.
> Thanks

°Mike°

What does this mean?

On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:46:34 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
J C Ames scrawled:

<snip>

>The comp would but not Windows it just sat there & ran the progression bar
>ran.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance