Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't activate Norton's Auto-Protect in SystemWorks

Can't activate Norton's Auto-Protect in SystemWorks

Malcolm Function

Hi,

I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last week
with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily dealt
with and cleaned out using the Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, but has left a
strange after-effect. I can no longer enable the Auto-Protect feature,
meaning that all email and other incoming files are no longer automatically
checked, although manual scans still work.

Clicking on the relevant option and attempting to "Enable" from the
SystemWorks control panel has no effect, as does going into the drop down
options menu for Anti-Virus and ticking the box for enabling auto-protect.
Either way, the status of auto-protect remains "OFF" and email-scanning is
listed "Error"

I'd rather not do the whole re-install thing as I've still got over six
months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if I
re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
likely culprit?

Jonti

"Malcolm Function" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40a21d11$0$8787$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last week
> with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily dealt
> with and cleaned out using the Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, but has left a
> strange after-effect. I can no longer enable the Auto-Protect feature,
> meaning that all email and other incoming files are no longer

automatically
> checked, although manual scans still work.
>
> Clicking on the relevant option and attempting to "Enable" from the
> SystemWorks control panel has no effect, as does going into the drop down
> options menu for Anti-Virus and ticking the box for enabling auto-protect.
> Either way, the status of auto-protect remains "OFF" and email-scanning is
> listed "Error"
>
> I'd rather not do the whole re-install thing as I've still got over six
> months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if I
> re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
> likely culprit?

Plenty of info about this on Symantec site! And the solutions, none that
really work! Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
everything left behind when using add/remove.

Then do a reinstall.
Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry. So,
you'll still have 6 months left.
BTW Are you using a pirated copy? :-0
--
Jonti

Plato

Malcolm Function wrote:

> I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last week
> with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily dealt

Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Unk

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Malcolm Function" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:40a21d11$0$8787$(E-Mail Removed). au...

<snip>
>Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
>add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
>everything left behind when using add/remove.
>
>Then do a reinstall.
>Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry. So,
>you'll still have 6 months left.

It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the file,
"Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"

You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
http://www.symantec.com/search/

Run 1st: symclean
Run 2nd: RNAV

After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full year.

Jonti

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Malcolm Function" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:40a21d11$0$8787$(E-Mail Removed). au...

> <snip>
> >Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
> >add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
> >everything left behind when using add/remove.
> >
> >Then do a reinstall.
> >Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

So,
> >you'll still have 6 months left.

> It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the

file,
> "Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"
>
> You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
> http://www.symantec.com/search/
>
> Run 1st: symclean
> Run 2nd: RNAV
>
> After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full

year.

It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!

Unk

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:58:54 +0100, "Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!

So what? You provided false information, that's what. If you can't provide
the correct info, don't post.

Jonti

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:58:54 +0100, "Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >It is NOT stored in the registry! So what!

> So what? You provided false information, that's what. If you can't

provide
> the correct info, don't post.

Actually Symantec does insert the said info into the registry! If you know
where! That's how Norton restricts you to 12 month of upgrades and can be
easily altered.

And this is B*llocks "You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV."
Because the error is caused by the Anti virus programme only. So only RNAV
needs to be used.

'Bye
--

Jonti

Malcolm Function

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:40a25909$0$64551$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Malcolm Function wrote:
> >
> > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last

week
> > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily

dealt

> Kazaa is a virus distribution and spyware network. Uninstall it.

You're asking a question no-one asked.

Thanks for trying.

Malcolm Function

"Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7te3k$i8b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Malcolm Function" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40a21d11$0$8787$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Norton's SystemWorks 2003 and had some minor drama's last

week
> > with a couple of viruses which snuck in via Kazaa. They were easily

dealt
> > with and cleaned out using the Anti-Virus and Ad-Aware, but has left a
> > strange after-effect. I can no longer enable the Auto-Protect feature,
> > meaning that all email and other incoming files are no longer

> automatically
> > checked, although manual scans still work.
> >
> > Clicking on the relevant option and attempting to "Enable" from the
> > SystemWorks control panel has no effect, as does going into the drop

down
> > options menu for Anti-Virus and ticking the box for enabling

auto-protect.
> > Either way, the status of auto-protect remains "OFF" and email-scanning

is
> > listed "Error"
> >
> > I'd rather not do the whole re-install thing as I've still got over six
> > months left on my subscription and don't know what would happen to it if

> > re-installed from scratch. anyone got any suggestions on an easy fix or
> > likely culprit?

> Plenty of info about this on Symantec site! And the solutions, none that
> really work! Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
> add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
> everything left behind when using add/remove.
>
> Then do a reinstall.
> Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

So,
> you'll still have 6 months left.
> BTW Are you using a pirated copy? :-0

Nope. Fully legit NAV 2003.

Thanks for the info. Will consider the re-install if all else fails.

Cheers.

Malcolm Function

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:59:38 +0100, "Jonti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >"Malcolm Function" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:40a21d11$0$8787$(E-Mail Removed). au...

> <snip>
> >Easiest solution is a complete uninstall using Windows
> >add/remove tool, then download the rnav2003 tool from Symatec to remove
> >everything left behind when using add/remove.
> >
> >Then do a reinstall.
> >Your subscription will not be affected as that info is in the registry.

So,
> >you'll still have 6 months left.

> It is NOT stored in the registry. The expiration data is stored in the

file,
> "Catalog.LiveSubscribe" which is located in the folder, "C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg"
>
> You need TWO tools to remove Norton, Symclean & RNAV.
> http://www.symantec.com/search/
>
> Run 1st: symclean
> Run 2nd: RNAV
>
> After using the Norton removal tools, delete the folder "C:\Program
> Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared" and reinstall. You will get a full

year.

Thanks. I'll look into it further and see how I go.

Much appreciated.