Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens on startup

C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens on startup

eichmebe

I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up the
C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup menu
causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the computer
starts?

doS

VIRUS

"eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The computer is an E-Machines, running WinME. Intel Celeron Processor.

160MB
> RAM
> "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up

the
> > C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup

> menu
> > causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the

computer
> > starts?

eichmebe

The computer is an E-Machines, running WinME. Intel Celeron Processor. 160MB
RAM
"eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up the
> C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup

menu
> causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the computer
> starts?

eichmebe

Stinger did previously detect the w32/klezh@mm virus, which I removed. I
also uninstalled Norton Antivirus a few minutes ago- as directed in the
Symantic directions for Klez removal. I am now searching for other virus
because the folder still opens.
"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VIRUS
>
> "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The computer is an E-Machines, running WinME. Intel Celeron Processor.

> 160MB
> > RAM
> > "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up

> the
> > > C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup

> > menu
> > > causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the

> computer
> > > starts?

°Mike°

Make sure that all of your startup shortcuts have double
quotes around them.

Windows XP? Folder Options / View ...
Uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.

Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...sk_desktop.htm

Make sure that no Windows are open when you close down
or reboot, as Windows can remember that they were open
and reinstate them on bootup.

Check that the following registry key is equal to zero:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
DesktopProcess = 0x00000000 (0)

Check the following registry keys for entries that might
initiate a window opening:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce

Also see:
Windows Explorer Starts When You Start Your Computer

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP,
Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:01:35 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
eichmebe scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

doS

which OS are you using?

"eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Stinger did previously detect the w32/klezh@mm virus, which I removed. I
> also uninstalled Norton Antivirus a few minutes ago- as directed in the
> Symantic directions for Klez removal. I am now searching for other virus
> because the folder still opens.
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > VIRUS
> >
> > "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The computer is an E-Machines, running WinME. Intel Celeron Processor.

> > 160MB
> > > RAM
> > > "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

up
> > the

startup
> > > menu

> > computer

eichmebe

WinME on E-Machines Celeron Processor
"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> which OS are you using?
>
> "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Stinger did previously detect the w32/klezh@mm virus, which I removed. I
> > also uninstalled Norton Antivirus a few minutes ago- as directed in the
> > Symantic directions for Klez removal. I am now searching for other virus
> > because the folder still opens.
> > "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > VIRUS
> > >
> > > "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Processor.
> > > 160MB

> up
> > > the

> startup
> > > computer

Joe

type MSCONFIG in run command,
Start...run...

Unk

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:01:35 -0500, "eichmebe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am working on a friends computer. Every time the computer starts up the
>C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder opens. Could there be something in the startup menu
>causing this? How would I stop this folder from opening when the computer
>starts?

Folder Options / View ...
Uncheck 'Restore previous folder windows at logon'.

Check that the following registry key is equal to zero:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer
DesktopProcess = 0x00000000 (0)

Check the following registry keys for entries that might
initiate a window opening:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServices
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunServicesOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce

eichmebe

Turns out there was an item in the startup menu causing this. After I
deselected the item, this folder did not open during startup anymore.