Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bios Upgrade

Reply
Thread Tools

Bios Upgrade

 
 
Radfaldo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2004
I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to recognise a
80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as it a refurbished
model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the motherboard the only
indication of what it might be is "N1996". It has an Award Bios chip on the
motherboard, and the rest of the info I have is from Bios Agent:
BIOS Date: 07/13/99
BIOS Type: American Megatrends
BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
Superio: Unknown
OS: WinXP
CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: No
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 256 MB
Memory Maximum: 256 MB
Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
Memory Slot 02: 128 MB

I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD. Can
someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to find the manual
for the motherboard as I have put some memory in and it only shows 128MB but
I believe it could be 256MB and I thought (as a last resort) that there may
be a jumper setting to change to get it to use 256MB. You never know with
these crazy PB systems.

Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers (and
tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these files, why do PB
insist on using them?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Adrian


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ICee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-10-2004
Radfaldo wrote:
> I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to
> recognise a 80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as
> it a refurbished model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the
> motherboard the only indication of what it might be is "N1996". It
> has an Award Bios chip on the motherboard, and the rest of the info I
> have is from Bios Agent:
> BIOS Date: 07/13/99
> BIOS Type: American Megatrends
> BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
> OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
> Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
> Superio: Unknown
> OS: WinXP
> CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
> BIOS ROM In Socket: No
> BIOS ROM Size: 256K
> Memory Installed: 256 MB
> Memory Maximum: 256 MB
> Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
> Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
>
> I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD.
> Can someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to find
> the manual for the motherboard as I have put some memory in and it
> only shows 128MB but I believe it could be 256MB and I thought (as a
> last resort) that there may be a jumper setting to change to get it
> to use 256MB. You never know with these crazy PB systems.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers (and
> tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these files,
> why do PB insist on using them?
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Adrian


Inputting the BIOS string at Google, found that it's a MSI MS-6168 MB.
The BIOS and manual are available here:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=268&kind=1
Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y20D52348


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Radfaldo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
Many Thanks,

I thought the same thing, but I was confused because the bios seems to say
it is American Megatrends and the other points it out as being MSI. I'm also
wary as the version of bios I have at the moment says 1.4 on the bios info
and the link you have sent me says 1.3 but is a year newer. As it isn't my
pc I don't want to blow it up for my friend


What are your thoughts?


"ICee" <icee@the light.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Radfaldo wrote:
> > I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to
> > recognise a 80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as
> > it a refurbished model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the
> > motherboard the only indication of what it might be is "N1996". It
> > has an Award Bios chip on the motherboard, and the rest of the info I
> > have is from Bios Agent:
> > BIOS Date: 07/13/99
> > BIOS Type: American Megatrends
> > BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
> > OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
> > Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
> > Superio: Unknown
> > OS: WinXP
> > CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
> > BIOS ROM In Socket: No
> > BIOS ROM Size: 256K
> > Memory Installed: 256 MB
> > Memory Maximum: 256 MB
> > Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
> > Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
> >
> > I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD.
> > Can someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to find
> > the manual for the motherboard as I have put some memory in and it
> > only shows 128MB but I believe it could be 256MB and I thought (as a
> > last resort) that there may be a jumper setting to change to get it
> > to use 256MB. You never know with these crazy PB systems.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers (and
> > tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these files,
> > why do PB insist on using them?
> >
> > Your help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Adrian

>
> Inputting the BIOS string at Google, found that it's a MSI MS-6168 MB.
> The BIOS and manual are available here:
>

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=268&kind=1
> Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y20D52348
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
ICee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-11-2004
Radfaldo wrote:
> Many Thanks,
>
> I thought the same thing, but I was confused because the bios seems
> to say it is American Megatrends and the other points it out as being
> MSI. I'm also wary as the version of bios I have at the moment says
> 1.4 on the bios info and the link you have sent me says 1.3 but is a
> year newer. As it isn't my pc I don't want to blow it up for my friend
>
>
> What are your thoughts?


When in doubt, especially where a BIOS upgrade is concerned, it's best
to not update it. I wouldn't, especially since it's someone else's
computer.
In your situation, I would just install the drive overlay software that
comes with most hard drives which allows larger drives to be used with
older systems.


> "ICee" <icee@the light.invalid> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Radfaldo wrote:
>>> I have a Packard Bell that I am trying to get the MB/Bios to
>>> recognise a 80GB HDD. I cannot tell what type of PB system it is as
>>> it a refurbished model and has no serial numbers or anything. On the
>>> motherboard the only indication of what it might be is "N1996". It
>>> has an Award Bios chip on the motherboard, and the rest of the info
>>> I have is from Bios Agent:
>>> BIOS Date: 07/13/99
>>> BIOS Type: American Megatrends
>>> BIOS ID: 61-0630-001169-00101111-071595-440BX/ZX-1440B000
>>> OEM Sign-On: A6168P2 V1.4 071399
>>> Chipset: Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3
>>> Superio: Unknown
>>> OS: WinXP
>>> CPU: Pentium III 500 Mhz MAX: 600 Mhz
>>> BIOS ROM In Socket: No
>>> BIOS ROM Size: 256K
>>> Memory Installed: 256 MB
>>> Memory Maximum: 256 MB
>>> Memory Slot 01: 128 MB
>>> Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
>>>
>>> I'm sure that if I get the latest Bios upgrade it will see the HDD.
>>> Can someone point me to where I can get it? I would also like to
>>> find the manual for the motherboard as I have put some memory in
>>> and it only shows 128MB but I believe it could be 256MB and I
>>> thought (as a last resort) that there may be a jumper setting to
>>> change to get it to use 256MB. You never know with these crazy PB
>>> systems.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what I need to do about transferring the drivers
>>> (and tattoo files to the new HDD). I don't know much about these
>>> files, why do PB insist on using them?
>>>
>>> Your help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Many Thanks
>>>
>>> Adrian

>>
>> Inputting the BIOS string at Google, found that it's a MSI MS-6168
>> MB. The BIOS and manual are available here:
>>

>

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/suppor...UID=268&kind=1
>> Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y20D52348



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIOS question - how to unlock a bios Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov Computer Support 1 01-11-2010 06:14 PM
help finding bios upgrade on msi site chuck Computer Support 2 05-29-2004 12:10 PM
BIOS Flash upgrade for a 7200T Phil Computer Support 30 02-29-2004 05:41 AM
Help to upgrade a bios Bisbebal Computer Support 3 08-05-2003 08:56 AM
if i stuff my bios trying to flash it, is there anyone in pn, who can burn my bios again with a standalone hardware thingy? Daniel Farley NZ Computing 11 07-25-2003 01:43 PM



Advertisments