Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Outlook Express 6 Synchronization - What is it Synchronizing?

Outlook Express 6 Synchronization - What is it Synchronizing?

Tom F

Hi there.

I was wondering, what exactly is synchronization? Isn't it to download messages
from the server? Now, when clicking the server, I see all available newsgroups
on the right columns. Each has its own synchronization settings but no matter what's
selected, when I click Synchronize Account everything is being updated.

So what is it exactly?

Thanks,
Tom.

dfghjk

Tom thanks for using the group and asking the question.
unfortunately there are a few who don't have a life and don't even
know how to be a human. The best medicine is totally ignoring their
comments-it isn't worth the keystrokes.

Of course, when they learned things, know one ever helped them out.
Then again, who would have wanted to?

trout

Tom F wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I was wondering, what exactly is synchronization? Isn't it to
> download messages from the server? Now, when clicking the server, I
> see all available newsgroups
> on the right columns. Each has its own synchronization settings but
> no matter what's selected, when I click Synchronize Account
> everything is being updated.
>
> So what is it exactly?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom.

The settings are fairly self-explanatory. For example, if you click
on Tools; "Synchronize Newsgroup" now, you'd have the choice of
downloading all messages and headers (that is *everything*- headers and
message bodies that exist on the news-server for this group) or headers,
only (that is the list of subject lines you see before you open the
messages), or 'new' headers only- that is; headers that you have not
previously downloaded.
And a word of advice. If someone is an obvious asshole; chances are
that most people that would answer your question already have the
asshole filtered-out; and it will just look like you're talking to
yourself.
--
"Please don't feed the trolls."

Toolman Tim

"Tom F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read the help file and many more tutorials in addition. Still don't get

it.
> And you probably didn't even read the content of my message.
>
> This isn't a PC class but still is a place where people ask questions,
> and other people - nice people - are kind enough to answer those

questions.
> I've been doing my best helping others in this and other newsgroups

because
> I don't believe in just asking. But when I do ask, I expect people to do

the same
> and I would never expect to get a message like yours.
>
> What I AM sure of, though, is that this isn't a place for you. And I bet

many
> people would agree with me.
>
> Oh, and by the way... you're an asshole.

Don't feed the trolls...I put *that* one in the blocked senders list a long
time ago.

Learn a bit more about Usenet, please.
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

And unless you like spam, munge your email address:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

*BEST* suggestion on munging is replace the ".com" in your email with
".invalid" (no quotes, of course).

Tom F

Just wanted to say thank you dfghjk, trout and Jerry (who emailed me).
Outlook Express help file didn't provide with much information about it.
I understand it better now, but why does Outlook Express synchronizes
everything (even what's set to not be synchronized) when I click on a
newsgroup? (Usually right when I start OE).

For example, all groups on the left column are marked as read, but when
clicking on one of them , it and ALL the other groups are being updated.

And trout, I think I'll take your advice

Thanks again.

"Tom F" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi there.
|
| I was wondering, what exactly is synchronization? Isn't it to download messages
| from the server? Now, when clicking the server, I see all available newsgroups
| on the right columns. Each has its own synchronization settings but no matter what's
| selected, when I click Synchronize Account everything is being updated.
|
| So what is it exactly?
|
| Thanks,
| Tom.

trout

Tom F wrote:
<snip>

> I understand it better now, but why does Outlook Express synchronize
> everything (even what's set to not be synchronized) when I click on a
> newsgroup? (Usually right when I start OE).
>
> For example, all groups on the left column are marked as read, but
> when
> clicking on one of them , it and ALL the other groups are being
> updated.

Hi, Tom. Just in case you're still watching this thread ( I've been
away for a bit); this sounds like the Synchronization Settings that
you've set at the Server level. That is; if you (from the folder list)
click on the the News account (rather than an individual newsgroup), and
set a synchronisation setting for your subscribed groups.
Of course, I can only guess; not being able to see what exactly
you're doing. But it sounds like you've seen the phrase "synchronise
all" at that point, and not said no.
--
"Maybe an area to look at."