Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Downloading a website.

Downloading a website.

Lee Davison

Is it possible to download a website and save it to your PC? The reason
being im worried some of the smaller websites I use for research may be
removed or lose their link, as frequently happens. I could copy text and
pictures individually into word files but isnt there a way to keep links in
place etc?

Thanks
Lee

--
"Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
www.geocities.com/ldavison10

SCVBNM

There is a program called Httracker. It has a lot of features and is
open source. It runs on Windows and *nix.

http://www.httrack.com/

When you create project you can change the options for that webpage to
something other than the default. You will probably want to set the
internal and external scan depths, and set it to ignore robots.txt (a
file that httrack by defaut checks that tells search engines and robots
like httrack where they can go).

Ruth

On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:47:57 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it possible to download a website and save it to your PC? The reason
>being im worried some of the smaller websites I use for research may be
>removed or lose their link, as frequently happens. I could copy text and
>pictures individually into word files but isnt there a way to keep links in
>place etc?

Two excellent programmes are:

Meta Products - "Offline Explorer Enterprise"

and - Teleport Pro

You can save the web pages using either of these and view or print
them later offline.

Ruth.

Phil

"Lee Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7gsln$2v8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to download a website and save it to your PC? The reason
> being im worried some of the smaller websites I use for research may be
> removed or lose their link, as frequently happens. I could copy text and
> pictures individually into word files but isnt there a way to keep links

in
> place etc?
>
> Thanks
> Lee
>
> --
> "Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
> www.geocities.com/ldavison10

In Internet Explorer, when you have the desired webpage displayed, you can
go to view, then source, then cut and paste the complete page into the
website editor of your choice.

I Hope This Helps.

Phil x x

Joevan

On Sat, 08 May 2004 08:53:48 +1000, Ruth <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 7 May 2004 20:47:57 +0000 (UTC), "Lee Davison"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to download a website and save it to your PC? The reason
>>being im worried some of the smaller websites I use for research may be
>>removed or lose their link, as frequently happens. I could copy text and
>>pictures individually into word files but isnt there a way to keep links in
>>place etc?

>Two excellent programmes are:
>
>Meta Products - "Offline Explorer Enterprise"
>
>and - Teleport Pro
>
>You can save the web pages using either of these and view or print
>them later offline.
>
>Ruth.

I like Teleport Pro, only one I have used, but it rocks.
joevan

Gary G. Taylor

Lee Davison wrote:

> Is it possible to download a website and save it to your PC? The reason
> being im worried some of the smaller websites I use for research may be
> removed or lose their link, as frequently happens. I could copy text and
> pictures individually into word files but isnt there a way to keep links
> in place etc?

wget

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

ProfGene

There is a program which is free called Sitesnag which will download all the
pages of a website including the images.