Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG not detecting viruses

AVG not detecting viruses

Boomer

"JIM" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> So if AVG is so pants then °Mikey° < Explain this
> Why does Avg (free) ver -running alongside Norton 2004
> detect the majority of viruses on my pc before norton even
> gets chance to have a sniff.
>
> =======================================
>
> Ps - Mikey also goes by the name of boomer or should it be bummer.

Hi

Could you please include some of the message you are responding to,
in your reply?
(Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

Further info:

Thank You Very Much

°Mike°

On Fri, 07 May 2004 21:16:03 GMT, in
<n0Tmc.48306$kh4.2693436@attbi_s52>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| It's a CRAP response time -- it's already too damn late!
>| Agobot/Agaobot have been around for a long time.
>
> It was good enough for me. Of course, the last virus that made it to my
>computer was when I was running a C= 64 ... it was on a 5.25" floppy.
>
>| I don't have AVG installed at the moment, but I'll bet
>| that it doesn't detect all of the SDBot variants, either.
>| It didn't while I was testing it; hell, even eZ doesn't!
>
> We certainly two wrongs don't make a right, but that's the flaw of
>signature based AV ... if you don't have the signature, you don't detect it.
>I'm sorry, but I don't share your outrage. I view AV and firewalls as a
>backup, not a front line defense.

What outrage? There is no outrage on my part; I have
merely tried to warn people that AVG *regularly* misses
live, 'in the wild' viruses, and this if from personal experience.
If you are happy with it, then I am happy for you.

--
Basic computer maintenance

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

| What outrage?

You're the one typing "crap" in all caps, mate.

°Mike°

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:43:30 GMT, in
<myMnc.19831$iF6.2012050@attbi_s02>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| What outrage?
>
> You're the one typing "crap" in all caps, mate.

And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.

--
Basic computer maintenance

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

| And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
| equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.

Fine ... be a jerk about it.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

| And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
| equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.

For what it's worth, ALL CAPS is yelling; and, emphasis is added with
the cunning use of *asterisks* for bold, or /slashes/ for italics.

°Mike°

On Tue, 11 May 2004 04:15:40 GMT, in
<MrYnc.67996$kh4.4041080@attbi_s52>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
>| equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.
>
> Fine ... be a jerk about it.

Who's being the jerk, here, hmmm? Certainly not me.
You don't like being contradicted, I take it.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Tue, 11 May 2004 04:17:52 GMT, in
<QtYnc.8825$UQ.522789@attbi_s51>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
>| equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.
>
> For what it's worth, ALL CAPS is yelling; and, emphasis is added with
>the cunning use of *asterisks* for bold, or /slashes/ for italics.

Posting whole sentences in capitals can be considered shouting,
yes, but I didn't, did I; I emphasised ONE word in capitals, which
is equally as valid as asterisks, underscores, or the many other
ways that people use.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

mhicaoidh wrote:

> Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| And so? That doesn't equate to outrage, that
>| equates to emphasis; and I'm not your mate.

> For what it's worth, ALL CAPS is yelling; and, emphasis is added with
> the cunning use of *asterisks* for bold, or /slashes/ for italics.

Don't forget _underlining_ and \Reverse Polish Notation\.

--
Blinky T. "the hook is baited" Shark Linux Registered User 4892F
AOL Diary http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

Oldus Fartus

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Don't forget _underlining_ and \Reverse Polish Notation\.

That would be right. The Polish get all the attention! What about
Czechoslovakia? They do not get any notation at all *from any
direction* and the only time they even rate a mention is when somebody
promises to put the czech in the mail.

It is bloody annoying, and I am going to have to go and have a rest to
calm down before my blind date arrives tonight. (Thanks Preesi.)

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus