Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG not detecting viruses

AVG not detecting viruses

Ron Martell

It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
which there are a number of variants.

This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
that AVG reports as not being infected.

Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.

The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
infected files.

Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

@}-}-------Rosee

Thanks Ron....

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
> purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
> which there are a number of variants.
>
> This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
> copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
> that AVG reports as not being infected.
>
> Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
> Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
> detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
>
> The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
> infected files.
>
> Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
> Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
> with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Boomer

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
> purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus,
> of which there are a number of variants.
>
> This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have
> known copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and
> Kaspersky) that AVG reports as not being infected.
>
> Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this
> one. Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses
> that it detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
>
> The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
> infected files.
>
> Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite
> recent. Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check
> for Gaobot with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Thank you, Ron.

Agnes L.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'm running both Avg & Avast...
Aggie

"Ron Martell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
| purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
| which there are a number of variants.
|
| This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
| copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
| that AVG reports as not being infected.
|
| Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
| Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
| detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
|
| The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
| infected files.
|
| Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
| Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
| with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
|

| Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
| --
| Microsoft MVP
| On-Line Help Computer Service
| http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
|
| "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

°Mike°

On Fri, 07 May 2004 03:51:21 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Ron Martell scrawled:

>It appears that AVG antivirus - both the free version 6 and the
>purchased version 7 - is failing to detect the W32.Gaobot virus, of
>which there are a number of variants.
>
>This failure has been confirmed by a number of users who have known
>copies of the virus (detected by Norton, McAfee, eTrust and Kaspersky)
>that AVG reports as not being infected.
>
>Apparently Avast, another free antivirus, is also missing this one.
>Also McAfee Stinger does not list Gaobot among the 41 viruses that it
>detected. However the full McAfee antivirus does find it.
>
>The problem has been reported to Grisoft, along with samples of
>infected files.
>
>Gaobot exploits the same vulnerability as Sasser and is quite recent.
>Anyone who had a Sasser infected machine should also check for Gaobot
>with an antivirus scanner other than AVG.
>

>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
for a long time.

As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

--
Basic computer maintenance

slumpy

....and seconds before the explosion, Agnes L. emerged from the bunker
carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

> Thanks for the heads-up! I'm running both Avg & Avast...
> Aggie

No point, all you'll do is screw them both.
--
slumpy
no more

Jacques Clouseau

says...

> This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
> for a long time.
>
> As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
> about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

I have a small computer business, and I've been using AVG on both my own
machines and my customers' machines for a couple of years (along with,
at times, other antivirus products, mostly for comparison purposes). I
have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has worked extremely
well. I have never had a case where AVG missed something that a
different antivirus program caught. Further, in my experience, AVG is
more stable than most, and also uses fewer system resources. I can't
recommend it highly enough.

I have no connection to AVG -- just a grateful user.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:

| This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
| for a long time.
|
| As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
| about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.

Pretty good response time, though. Update this morning, and they appear
to have added detection. Looks like they chose the alias Agobot (like
Kaspersky):

http://www.grisoft.cz/virbase/virbas...ng=us&type=web

or

http://tinyurl.com/2azsj

°Mike°

On Fri, 7 May 2004 10:53:31 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Jacques Clouseau scrawled:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>

>> This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
>> for a long time.
>>
>> As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
>> about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.
>>

>I have a small computer business, and I've been using AVG on both my own
>machines and my customers' machines for a couple of years (along with,
>at times, other antivirus products, mostly for comparison purposes). I
>have had absolutely no problems with it, and it has worked extremely
>well. I have never had a case where AVG missed something that a
>different antivirus program caught. Further, in my experience, AVG is
>more stable than most, and also uses fewer system resources. I can't
>recommend it highly enough.
>
>I have no connection to AVG -- just a grateful user.

You obviously don't have a very wide virus database to
test the thing on. Also, I never mentioned anything about
it not being stable, and it certainly does NOT use less
system resources than eZ Antivirus.

You should make sure that your security is rock solid,
if you are relying totally on AVG, sorry.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Fri, 07 May 2004 14:55:04 GMT, in
<crNmc.37570$IG1.2081216@attbi_s04>
mhicaoidh scrawled:

>Taking a moment's reflection, °Mike° mused:
>|
>| This is *exactly* what I have been warning people about AVG
>| for a long time.
>|
>| As I have said on many occasions, the *only* good thing
>| about AVG is the price -- it is NOT a safe antivirus solution.
>
> Pretty good response time, though. Update this morning, and they appear
>to have added detection. Looks like they chose the alias Agobot (like
>Kaspersky):
>
>http://www.grisoft.cz/virbase/virbas...ng=us&type=web
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2azsj

It's a CRAP response time -- it's already too damn late!
Agobot/Agaobot have been around for a long time.

I don't have AVG installed at the moment, but I'll bet
that it doesn't detect all of the SDBot variants, either.
It didn't while I was testing it; hell, even eZ doesn't!

--
Basic computer maintenance