Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help- a search has taken over my IE

Help- a search has taken over my IE

bill

how do I get rid of the page that is always on my explorer,
if I choose a new home page it is back to this bloody search thing if I
close the window and reopen it.
"about:blank" is all it says in the adder bar and iv searched for it to
delete but to no avail,,
any ideas??

cheers
Bill

°Mike°

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

On Thu, 6 May 2004 20:41:36 +0100, in
<Gwwmc.144$Zh5.143@newsfe1-win>
"bill" <andran@ntl(remove)world.com> scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

*Ashley*

sounds like a virus
"bill" <andran@ntl(remove)world.com> wrote in message
> how do I get rid of the page that is always on my explorer,
> if I choose a new home page it is back to this bloody search thing if I
> close the window and reopen it.
> "about:blank" is all it says in the adder bar and iv searched for it

> delete but to no avail,,
> any ideas??
>
> cheers
> Bill

Geoff

This problem has been around for a while. I guess the about:blank page is
advertising medical products and also puts an icon on the desktop. It is a
genuine company that has been hijacked by someone who was trying to help
promote it!

Download "Adaware" and run it; it will get rid of the cookie responsible.
Set your homepage back again to what you want. It should now be OK. It
will come back though. Mine re-appears after 4/5 weeks. You just have to
run Adaware each time and remove it.

Geoff.

"*Ashley*" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> sounds like a virus
> "bill" <andran@ntl(remove)world.com> wrote in message
> > how do I get rid of the page that is always on my explorer,
> > if I choose a new home page it is back to this bloody search thing if I
> > close the window and reopen it.
> > "about:blank" is all it says in the adder bar and iv searched for it

> > delete but to no avail,,
> > any ideas??
> >
> > cheers
> > Bill

Reid Decker

If you have System Restore, go back to a Restore Point before you got
the problem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...