Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MDAC

allan g

Was advised to download and install this Microsoft product to clear a
problem on my PC. MDAC would not install and I got this message from
Advanced INF Installer.
Error registering the OCX C:\WINDOWS\System32\odbcconfi.dll
Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to correct.
Thanks in advance for any help
allan g

Victor Pushkin

Allan,

you forgot to mention what version of OS and what version of MDAC are you
trying to install.
This error could be due tio multiple reasons.

One of them

MDAC 2.x Requires DCOM95 to Install Under Windows 95, see:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;Q191094&

Victor Pushkin
www.katygeeks.com
Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.

" allan g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7dtdq$sd6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Was advised to download and install this Microsoft product to clear a
> problem on my PC. MDAC would not install and I got this message from
> Advanced INF Installer.
> Error registering the OCX C:\WINDOWS\System32\odbcconfi.dll
> Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to correct.
> Thanks in advance for any help
> allan g

allan g

Victor

OS is Win xp and the version of MDAC is2.8 Set up

Allan

"Victor Pushkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gzwmc.10004$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Allan,
>
> you forgot to mention what version of OS and what version of MDAC are you
> trying to install.
> This error could be due tio multiple reasons.
>
> One of them
>
> MDAC 2.x Requires DCOM95 to Install Under Windows 95, see:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;Q191094&
>
> Victor Pushkin
> www.katygeeks.com
> Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.
>
> " allan g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c7dtdq$sd6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Was advised to download and install this Microsoft product to clear a
> > problem on my PC. MDAC would not install and I got this message from
> > Advanced INF Installer.
> > Error registering the OCX C:\WINDOWS\System32\odbcconfi.dll
> > Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to correct.
> > Thanks in advance for any help
> > allan g

Computer Support at KatyGeeks.com

It could be a system file protection problem. Please take a look at your
system event log. Do you see an event like this?
"File replacement was attempted on the protected system file
c:\winnt\system32\odbcconf.dll. This file was restored to the original
version to maintain system stability."

Here is a solution for this case (see
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;286442)
Method 1: Look for older Odbcconf.dll files on the system, rename them, and
then reinstall MDAC.
Method 2: If the Odbcconf.dll file is not the problem, download and unzip
the Unmgrt.exe file that is provided in the "More Information" section and
then do the following:
Put the Unmigrt.cmd and Unmigrt.rsp files in a folder on the computer that
has the problem.
Copy the Mdac_typ.exe file for the version of MDAC that you tried to install
to the same folder. If you are seeing the failure when you run the
installations for SQL Server 2000 or Visual Studio .NET, download the latest
Mdac_typ.exe files from the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web
site:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/dataaccess
The following list shows which version of Mdac_typ.exe you will use based on
where you see the failure: Visual Studio .NETMDAC 2.7
SQL Server 2000MDAC 2.6
SQL Server 2000 SP1MDAC 2.6 SP1
SQL Server 2000 SP2MDAC 2.6 SP2

Run Unmigrt.cmd.
Run the MDAC installation again. You should see that the MDAC setup is
successful the next time that you try to install.

" allan g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7e8ou$7pd$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Victor
>
> OS is Win xp and the version of MDAC is2.8 Set up
>
> Allan
>
> "Victor Pushkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Gzwmc.10004$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > Allan,
> >
> > you forgot to mention what version of OS and what version of MDAC are

you
> > trying to install.
> > This error could be due tio multiple reasons.
> >
> > One of them
> >
> > MDAC 2.x Requires DCOM95 to Install Under Windows 95, see:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;Q191094&
> >
> > Victor Pushkin
> > www.katygeeks.com
> > Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.
> >
> > " allan g" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c7dtdq$sd6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Was advised to download and install this Microsoft product to clear a
> > > problem on my PC. MDAC would not install and I got this message from
> > > Advanced INF Installer.
> > > Error registering the OCX C:\WINDOWS\System32\odbcconfi.dll
> > > Can anyone tell me what this means and what I need to do to correct.
> > > Thanks in advance for any help
> > > allan g

allan g

Thanks for all help but it is all a bit too involved for me.I will try and
get some assistance from a friend who is more Pc literate
news:Xmymc.10116$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

check MDAC version Grey ASP .Net 4 10-31-2008 10:34 AM
Which MDAC for Access 2k0-2k3 with VS.NET2003 =?Utf-8?B?S2VubmV0aCBQ?= ASP .Net 0 04-04-2005 05:41 AM
Re: ASPNET doesn't recognize MDAC (Class not registered) Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP] ASP .Net 1 06-06-2004 05:04 PM
Latest MDAC update .NET Developer ASP .Net 1 03-05-2004 06:56 PM
Re: (MDAC) version 2.6 or later - During deplying Cynic07 ASP .Net 1 10-17-2003 06:45 PM

Advertisments