Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OE6 transfer of addresses & messages HELP!

OE6 transfer of addresses & messages HELP!

Rob Tompsett

My OS (winXP home) failed, and not wishing to lose data on the hard drive by
formating & reinstalling I installed a new master HD, making the old one a
slave, and installed win XP on it.

I was hoping to be able to transfer my OE addresses & messages over from the
old HD to the new HD, however as I can't run the old OE I need to actually
copy & paste the relevant files.

Any ideas where I can find them, or is there a better way?

slumpy

....and seconds before the explosion, Rob Tompsett emerged from the bunker
carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

> My OS (winXP home) failed, and not wishing to lose data on the hard
> drive by formating & reinstalling I installed a new master HD, making
> the old one a slave, and installed win XP on it.
>
> I was hoping to be able to transfer my OE addresses & messages over
> from the old HD to the new HD, however as I can't run the old OE I
> need to actually copy & paste the relevant files.
>
> Any ideas where I can find them, or is there a better way?

Search for .dbx files - they are your messages and folders.
D/l dbxtract and extract the messages from the files to folder(s) of your
choice.
--
slumpy
no more

Victor Pushkin

Most likely you will find them in the:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{SOME-GUID-D58FD4402840}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Just close OE and copy everything from this folder to the corresponding one
on your new hard drive. Don't forget to back it up first.

Victor Pushkin
http://www.katygeeks.com
Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.

"Rob Tompsett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:409a668c$0$7359$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> My OS (winXP home) failed, and not wishing to lose data on the hard drive

by
> formating & reinstalling I installed a new master HD, making the old one a
> slave, and installed win XP on it.
>
> I was hoping to be able to transfer my OE addresses & messages over from

the
> old HD to the new HD, however as I can't run the old OE I need to actually
> copy & paste the relevant files.
>
> Any ideas where I can find them, or is there a better way?

Victor Pushkin

Close OE, back up your current OE folder (Tools->Options->Store Folder)
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{SOME-GUID-D58FD4402840}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Copy everything from your old HDD OE folder (must look similar to the above)
to the new HDD OE folder.

Victor Pushkin
http://www.katygeeks.com
Computer Support Services for Houston/Katy area.

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ...and seconds before the explosion, Rob Tompsett emerged from the bunker
> carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:
>
> > My OS (winXP home) failed, and not wishing to lose data on the hard
> > drive by formating & reinstalling I installed a new master HD, making
> > the old one a slave, and installed win XP on it.
> >
> > I was hoping to be able to transfer my OE addresses & messages over
> > from the old HD to the new HD, however as I can't run the old OE I
> > need to actually copy & paste the relevant files.
> >
> > Any ideas where I can find them, or is there a better way?

> Search for .dbx files - they are your messages and folders.
> D/l dbxtract and extract the messages from the files to folder(s) of your
> choice.
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just me
> (cheap at twice the price...)

slumpy

....and seconds before the explosion, Victor Pushkin emerged from the bunker
carrying the last chicken tikka masala humanity would ever see, crying:

> Close OE, back up your current OE folder (Tools->Options->Store
> Folder) C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Identities\{SOME-GUID-D58FD4402840}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
>
> Copy everything from your old HDD OE folder (must look similar to the
> above) to the new HDD OE folder.

Don't bother telling me. I /know/ how to back up OE, I just ****up by
deleting the wrong folder /after/ I reinstall it all...;-(
--
slumpy
no more