Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Uninstalled primary ide channel, now winxp cant find it

Uninstalled primary ide channel, now winxp cant find it

puffy

OK, basically I wanted to enable the DMA support for my k7ama mobo w/
a 120gig Western Digital HD.

The reason I wanted to do this so my DVD burner would run a lot
quicker

I enabled this in bios, but when I went back into device manager, the
DVD burner had DMA on, but my HD still said DMA off??

It still says primary- transfer mode is set to DMA if available and
current is PIO mode for my HD.

So someone suggested this: You need to uninstall primary IDE channel
and after restart you should have IDE DMA 5 enabled for you first IDE
device (HDD

i did this but when i restarted, i got an error in windows when it was
attempting to reinstall the primary channel drivers.

The error i get is that ' hdc error driver is not intended for this
platform"

In addition to enabling DMA on in BIOS, what I did was my Western
Digital HD comes with a 'ultra ata/100 management' disk and I ran that
as well and I guess I 'enabled' DMA. I had an option of choosing b/w
ata 33/66/100.

I tried to 'disable' it again (thru using the disk), but still I get
this "hdc error driver is not intended for this platform" error

i switched back everything i changed and i still get this error

Anyone know how to fix?

There's a big yellow ! when I go into device manager and look at my
primary IDE controller (actually that isnt even there anymore, just
says 'unknown device')

EDIT: I ran nero info tool, it says DMA on the HD is now ON (off
before) and I was able to burn a DVD in 14 min, rather than 30

But I still dont have the primariy ide channel configured properly.

PICTURE of problem: http://www.geocities.com/vanbiesbrouck34/error.JPG

copy and paste in browser, thanks in advance

PS:sorry for the long post.

°Mike°

Download and install the correct drivers for
your motherboard, or boot into Safe Mode
and delete the IDE controller from Device
Manager -- let Windows reinstall it at next
boot up.

On Wed, 05 May 2004 18:03:53 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
puffy scrawled:

>OK, basically I wanted to enable the DMA support for my k7ama mobo w/
>a 120gig Western Digital HD.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

puffy

Hmm I went to my mobo website, d/led the ide drivers for it, but still
no go

guess i will have to format

thanks