Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sound blaster and echo on streaming radio

sound blaster and echo on streaming radio

D A welser

I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several months.
It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
tune in.

I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.

I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an echo
effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
quality to the sound.

The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.

I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.

I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
offender.

Any suggestions on how to track this down?

Dave

Bigfred

Yeh ditch real player and wmp and use Jet Audio player
http://download.com.com/3000-2167-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1

"D A welser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:AF6mc.39479$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several

months.
> It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
> tune in.
>
> I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
>
> I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an

echo
> effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
> quality to the sound.
>
> The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.
>
> I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
> concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
>
> I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
> concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
> offender.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down?
>
> Dave

David Wood

> I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several months.
> It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
> tune in.
>
> I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
>
> I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an echo
> effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
> quality to the sound.
>
> The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.
>
> I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
> concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
>
> I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
> concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
> offender.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down?

Well first I would check to see if you have any sound enhancement
features enabled (such as spatializers) and disable them. This is
sometimes labeled in the master volume's advanced settings, as "3d" or
"3d enhancement" - or even "stereo wide". With some sound cards, this
is even one of the other sliders. Go into the Windows play back mixer
and go to properties, and make sure all the boxes are checked off so
that you can see all the levels.

ivan

Does your board have an EAX sound effects console, could be u have an
'effect' turned on..

On Wed, 05 May 2004 14:14:56 GMT, "D A welser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several months.
>It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I want to
>tune in.
>
> I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
>
> I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as an echo
>effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
>quality to the sound.
>
> The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media player.
>
> I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
>concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
>
> I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
>concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
>offender.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down?
>
>Dave

Isaac

"D A welser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:AF6mc.39479$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have had a problem with receiving streaming radio for several
> months.
> It is obviously not critical but now I have found something that I
> want to tune in.
>
> I have an SB AUDGY AUDIO DF80 sound board.
>
> I noted back then that I was getting what I can only describe as
> an echo
> effect, like the announcer is inside a barrel. It adds an unpleasant
> quality to the sound.
>
> The sound is there whether I use RealPlayer or Windows media
> player.
>
> I had clear sound originally when the machine was new so I have
> concluded that the problem stems from something I downloaded.
>
> I have poked around and tried to see if two programs are acting in
> concert to produce this echo but have not been able to pin down any
> offender.
>
> Any suggestions on how to track this down?
>
> Dave

You could try to disable hardware acceleration
Start->Run->dxdiag tab Sound

Isaac