Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to disable DMA?

How to disable DMA?

Bristo

I want to upgrade the firmware for my Sony DVD writer. To do this I have to
disable DMA for this drive but can't figure out how, there is no mention of
DM in the device manager entry for the drive.
Can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Bristo wrote:

> I want to upgrade the firmware for my Sony DVD writer. To do this I have to
> disable DMA for this drive but can't figure out how, there is no mention of
> DM in the device manager entry for the drive.
> Can someone put me out of my misery?
>
> Thanks

And your operating system is?

Bristo

"PalindrÔ~╗me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c7aj70$1karl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Bristo wrote:
>
> > I want to upgrade the firmware for my Sony DVD writer. To do this I

have to
> > disable DMA for this drive but can't figure out how, there is no mention

of
> > DM in the device manager entry for the drive.
> > Can someone put me out of my misery?
> >
> > Thanks

> And your operating system is?

DUH!!!!
Win XP home, said he, sheepishly.....

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Bristo wrote:

> "Palindrâ~»me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c7aj70$1karl$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>Bristo wrote:
>>

>>>I want to upgrade the firmware for my Sony DVD writer. To do this I

> have to
>
>>>disable DMA for this drive but can't figure out how, there is no mention

> of
>
>>>DM in the device manager entry for the drive.
>>>Can someone put me out of my misery?
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>And your operating system is?

> DUH!!!!
> Win XP home, said he, sheepishly.....

It's in the entry for the IDE controller, not the drive.

Woody

Look in device manager under IDE controllers and change the appropriate
channel to "PIO only".

"Bristo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4098cfbd$0$25324$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to upgrade the firmware for my Sony DVD writer. To do this I have

> disable DMA for this drive but can't figure out how, there is no mention

of
> DM in the device manager entry for the drive.
> Can someone put me out of my misery?
>
> Thanks

Bristo

Thanks Palinr?me and Woody. Found it and disabled it.

Now I have to lose the "everyone uses Windows" mindset....

Thanks again

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Bristo wrote:

> Thanks Palinr?me and Woody. Found it and disabled it.
>
> Now I have to lose the "everyone uses Windows" mindset....
>
> Thanks again

No problem! Why Microsoft couldn't have left it where it was
in earlier versions, is beyond me.

Glad to help.