Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Change the username found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Username"

Change the username found in "C:\Documents and Settings\Username"

The Reluctant Robot Named Jude

Hi,

I know this is an issue with quite the reputation for having an elusive
solution (if one even exists), but I will ask.

Does anyone know how to change the name appearing in the C:\Documents and
Settings\Username path? I have changed the name of my User Account, as well
as editing the RegisteredOwner key in my registry (found under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion), though the
name appearing in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username path will not
change.

I am running Windows XP.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.

--

Winston Ksennin

Rifleman

"The Reluctant Robot Named Jude" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message
news:JK%lc.407682$(E-Mail Removed) et.cable.rogers.com...
> Hi,
>
> I know this is an issue with quite the reputation for having an elusive
> solution (if one even exists), but I will ask.
>
> Does anyone know how to change the name appearing in the C:\Documents and
> Settings\Username path? I have changed the name of my User Account, as

well
> as editing the RegisteredOwner key in my registry (found under
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion), though

the
> name appearing in the C:\Documents and Settings\Username path will not
> change.
>
> I am running Windows XP.
>
> Thanks a lot, I appreciate your time.
>
> --
>
> Winston Ksennin

The easiest answer is to create a New user with the desired name and copy
the documents and settings from the old. Then delete the old user.