Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP PRO legit or pirate?

XP PRO legit or pirate?

Joe

I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
computer?

I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
minutes later all the programs pop up at once).

Any advice greatfully received.

Joevan

On Tue, 4 May 2004 16:55:23 +0100, "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
>manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
>computer?
>
>I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
>see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
>want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
>sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
>minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
>
>Any advice greatfully received.

If you really want to know, open up windows explorer, click on help
and you will see something like Is this copy of windows legal.
Let us know what you discover.
joevan

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c78edd$52f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
> manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
> computer?
>
> I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
> see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because

> want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
> sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

few
> minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
>
> Any advice greatfully received.

Check the back of the PC or inside the computer cover, sometimes people put
them in there

Lazarus

If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c78edd$52f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
> manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
> computer?
>
> I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
> see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because

> want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
> sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

few
> minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
>
> Any advice greatfully received.

Jonti

Not quite correct :-0

Jonti
"Lazarus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c78mi3$443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
> it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!
>

> "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:c78edd$52f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have

the
> > manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
> > computer?
> >
> > I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer

> > see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery

because
> > want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
> > sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

> few
> > minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
> >
> > Any advice greatfully received.

Dan Shea

wrote:

>I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
>manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
>computer?
>
>I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
>see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because I
>want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
>sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a few
>minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
>
>Any advice greatfully received.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/h...w/default.mspx

Generally, if you didn't receive any Certificate of Authenticity (a
sticker on the case somewhere, a piece of paper, etc) your software is
pirated. Not receiving a genyewine MS hologram CD or 3-rd party
recovery disk -- SOME way of reinstalling your OS -- is also a bad
sign.

FWIW, as long as it works with Windows Update, you shouldn't have any
problems other than the legal/ethical ones. If it doesn't work with
Windows Update, you can always buy a retail XP license, enter the new
key, and you're set.

Cheers,
dan

You can check that the key you have retrieved is correct by using Belarc
Advisor free from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or Magical Jelly
Bean Keyfinder free from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml .
You can reinstall using the key that this retrieves. Only problem is if the
key is for an OEM version, upgrade or full retail you will need that
specific disc. Also you may find that it then refuses to activate because
the original install was activated using a crack. I might be easier to ask
the seller. It would be useful to know the specification as the problem
might be caused but a slow CPU or lack of RAM which reinstalling wont fix.
If the machine stops responding clicking loads of icons will only make the
problem worst since each click adds yet another instruction in the queue to
be processed.
"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c78edd$52f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have the
> manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
> computer?
>
> I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer to
> see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery because

> want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
> sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

few
> minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
>
> Any advice greatfully received.

Hamman

"Lazarus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c78mi3$443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
> it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!

what the hell have you been drinking / smoking? complete BS, it either works
all the time or never.

hamman

doS

Damn to hell, he said he found the serial in the registry, no way possible,
it's not listed there.

"Lazarus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c78mi3$443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
> it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!
>

> "Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:c78edd$52f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I bought a 2nd hand computer which came with XP Pro installed, i have

the
> > manual but cannot find the certificate of authencity, its a custom made
> > computer?
> >
> > I've tried in vain to find a site within Microsoft to scan my computer

> > see if it is legit. I've found the serial number in the registery

because
> > want to do a reinstall or something, as it often has slow downs and
> > sometimes takes ages to open programs (i click loads of icons and then a

> few
> > minutes later all the programs pop up at once).
> >
> > Any advice greatfully received.

doS

Who asked you Hummerman?

"Hamman" <(E-Mail Removed) ovethis.co.uk>

> "Lazarus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c78mi3$443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > If you have a pirate copy windows update only works the first time u use
> > it....2nd time it tells you you have pirate sware!

FS: 1 MCSE security exam voucher expiring 11/30/04 - legit offer - ebay sale fell through Audi S4 pilot MCSE 0 11-28-2004 04:21 PM
legit product or dump Doom MCSE 12 06-22-2004 06:49 PM
70-306 - Actual Legit Developer Questions Brunswick Lowe MCSD 3 01-13-2004 12:02 AM
Mangled address in newsgroups, legit address in e-mails Arthur Whitter Computer Support 5 09-26-2003 08:03 PM
Is X-Cleaner Legit? I think it may have wiped my registry. What do i do? Look in my eyes and you'll find me Computer Support 10 08-31-2003 03:15 AM

Advertisments