Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > two new emails today without being people I really know and scanned clean per AVG (no known virus)

two new emails today without being people I really know and scanned clean per AVG (no known virus)

Mr_Bill

but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
(deleted)

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Mr_Bill wrote:

> but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
> least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
> malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
> (deleted)

I have no idea as I never open emails from people I don't
know without at least previewing them with Magic Mail Monitor.

And if I really, really wanted to open them, I wouldn't
trust a single email anti virus scanner and certainly not
AVG as that single scanner.

But I was writing to see if you would like to buy my old
Ford Sierra? It failed its MOT and the brakes don't work,
but I figured it might just be the car for you..

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Don't open up attachments unless you know who sent them to you and
why....ever.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com - since 1997
Managed, Dedicated and Colo Server Pkgs.

"Mr_Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
> least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
> malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
> (deleted)

Bucky Breeder

Mr_Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
> least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
> malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
> (deleted)

Yikes!

You are using Forte Agent v1.93 as your newsreader, your E-mail client
has a virus scanner feature, and your E-mail messages are "filled with
at least 30 icons that are normailly used in Win xp."

What are your E-mail client and AV software could be relevant
information.

Hmmm. Could be Incredimail messages? You could turn off HTML in your E-
mail client settings and disable scripting as well.

If this is real, the first thing I'd do is make sure my AV was totally
up to date. That going well, I'd make sure my AV Complete test settings
were intact and correct. Then I'd do a complete scan and see what I see.

But...

If this is not real, I'd get a can of lighter fluid and spray down
inside of my computer and then sterilize the inside of my beige box with
lit matches and then hold my monitor under water in the bath tub until
all the bubbles stop so I know that all the viruses have completely
drownededead.

Mr_Bill

Bucky and anyone else who can help
my email client is Netscape/Mozilla (stable edition-not beta)and what
i did to check the email is saved it to c:\Downloads with new names i
can recognize. Then I did a complete scan with AVG antivirus
which i updated this morning. The results were no virus so I opened
both the attachments in the file which gave me one document and a file
for each attachment. I couldnt open the document and the files each
had about thirty icons used in win xp.I deleted the whole mess but I
dont really understand this. I assume it was malicious code but dont
know that
TIA

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:12:18 -0500, Bucky Breeder
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mr_Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
>> least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
>> malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
>> (deleted)

>Yikes!
>
>You are using Forte Agent v1.93 as your newsreader, your E-mail client
>has a virus scanner feature, and your E-mail messages are "filled with
>at least 30 icons that are normailly used in Win xp."
>
>What are your E-mail client and AV software could be relevant
>information.
>
>Hmmm. Could be Incredimail messages? You could turn off HTML in your E-
>mail client settings and disable scripting as well.
>
>If this is real, the first thing I'd do is make sure my AV was totally
>up to date. That going well, I'd make sure my AV Complete test settings
>were intact and correct. Then I'd do a complete scan and see what I see.
>
>But...
>
>If this is not real, I'd get a can of lighter fluid and spray down
>inside of my computer and then sterilize the inside of my beige box with
>lit matches and then hold my monitor under water in the bath tub until
>all the bubbles stop so I know that all the viruses have completely
>drownededead.

Mr_Bill

On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:46:13 GMT, Mr_Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
>least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
>malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
>(deleted)

Boomer

Mr_Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:46:13 GMT, Mr_Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>but after I virus scan them I open them up and each is filled with at
>>least 30 icons that are normally used in Win xp. Waht type of
>>malicious code is this? I got rid of them upon looding at them
>>(deleted)

Hello

Hopefully these will help.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#asking

ZachICU

Any chance we could get a screen shot of this? Should be interesting to see!

Zach