Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > format Hard drive

format Hard drive

Pete

How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
> everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

Put your xp disc on and set you bios to boot from the cd.
Have the disc in when u boot the pc
The cd will guide you through the format process

Gaz

Martik

How to perform a quick 'restore' of XP:

Create a 6gb partition for XP only, keep all your data on another partition.
This allows you to format C: independently of your data.

Now do a fresh install of XP, all your apps and settings and microsoft
patches.

This is your baseline install.

Create a 3gb fat32 partition to make an image of your base install.

Create a boot floppy.

Download savepart.exe from http://partition-saving.com/ and copy it to the
boot floppy.

Reboot with the floppy and enter 'savepart' and choose 'save an element',
unoccupied sector, compression 1 and direct the file to the fat32 partition.
There is an option to verify the file after you are done.

You now have a partition image of your baseline install which can be
restored in under 5 mins. You don't have to reformat your C: partition
before doing so, just boot from the floppy and choose restore.

Toolman Tim

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
> everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

And what makes you think reinstalling Windows will stop the pop up ads?

AMPERE CHRISTIAN

yep what about using ad ware or spybot or even restoring the system ?
Worked for me....

"Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
> > everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in

advance

> And what makes you think reinstalling Windows will stop the pop up ads?

Toolman Tim

Yeah - nothing like overkill <g>! Then again, they be having other problems
that they didn't bother explaining. Personally, I would hate to re-install
and try to get everything on my system back to working the way I want it
too. Hours and hours of work...

"AMPERE CHRISTIAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40955566$0$657$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> yep what about using ad ware or spybot or even restoring the system ?
> Worked for me....
>

> "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> a écrit dans le message de
> news: (E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
> > > everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in

> advance
> > >

> > And what makes you think reinstalling Windows will stop the pop up ads?

SgtMinor

The vast majority of people who reformat a hard drive, after getting an
answer to their "how-do-I-do-this" post, regret it.