Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bittorrent download speed

Bittorrent download speed

cc

Hi;

I joined the Mandrake Club and am using their mirror. I am downloading
MDK 10.0 with Bittorrent. I have an SMC router using
NAT. I read the directions for bittorrent and found I had to open
6881-6889 on port 80 which I did. Still I am only getting arouns 40 KiB/s.
Is there any way to increase this.

Thanks
Charlie

Parko

cc wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I joined the Mandrake Club and am using their mirror. I am
> downloading MDK 10.0 with Bittorrent. I have an SMC router using
> NAT. I read the directions for bittorrent and found I had to open
> 6881-6889 on port 80 which I did. Still I am only getting arouns 40 KiB/s.
> Is there any way to increase this.
>
> Thanks
> Charlie

I too am a Mandrake Club member, and quite happy to pay the
subscription. However I tend to wait until the ISOs become available on
the mirrors because my ISP charges for uploads as well as downloads.
Sucks really, but I have to live with a virtual monopoly as far as
telcos go. Scope the Wiki for further information.

http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page=BitTorrent

Using Windows XP is just so weird...

Gary G. Taylor

cc wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I joined the Mandrake Club and am using their mirror. I am downloading
> MDK 10.0 with Bittorrent. I have an SMC router using
> NAT. I read the directions for bittorrent and found I had to open
> 6881-6889 on port 80 which I did. Still I am only getting arouns 40 KiB/s.
> Is there any way to increase this.
>
> Thanks
> Charlie

Stick with it and it will pick up. Resign yourself to leaving your machine
on for the amount of time it takes, PLUS some more time to allow people to
get the files from you.

Or, alternatively (as someone else suggested), wait for the ISOs to be
available on the mirrors--sometime in the next month or so. Worth it I
think.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

"cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ajWkc.1284$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Hi;
>
> I joined the Mandrake Club and am using their mirror. I am downloading
> MDK 10.0 with Bittorrent. I have an SMC router using
> NAT. I read the directions for bittorrent and found I had to open
> 6881-6889 on port 80 which I did. Still I am only getting arouns 40 KiB/s.
> Is there any way to increase this.
>
> Thanks
> Charlie

If you set your upload speed to high, it can decrease your download speed as
it has to download extra info to check that what you have on your pc has the
correct file info. I think its called hash checking or something like that
Taken from bitorent website
I'm behind a firewall/NAT, can I use BitTorrent?
Yes, but you will get better performance if other peers can connect to you.
By default, BitTorrent listens on port 6881, trying incrementially higher
ports if it's unable to bind, and gives up after 6889 (the port range is
configurable). It's up to you to figure out how to poke a hole in your
firewall/NAT.

Whats the port 80 bit you are mentioning???

Gaz

How to calculate theoretical max download speed from upload speed (ADSL) ? GraB NZ Computing 5 10-29-2006 10:14 AM
bittorrent D/L speed Ferg NZ Computing 9 08-16-2004 12:19 AM
Bittorrent Download/Upload Speed cc Computer Support 3 05-02-2004 07:19 PM
[ANN] Mozilla & FireBird download links for BitTorrent Martijn Dekker Firefox 0 10-15-2003 03:18 PM

Advertisments