Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installed Flash but popups now crash

Installed Flash but popups now crash

Fidcal

I was at a site yesterday and got a dialog 'install Macromedia
Flash?' I clicked yes and within moments, without any other
messages, the flash menu in the page started working OK. I was a
little surprised how quickly it installed.

Now today I find that ordinary popups don't work. I get a new
window but it just captures whatever desktop is behind it and
doesn't update and an hourglass remains permanently. This also
happens also if I Ctrl+Shift+Left mouse click on a link to open
it in a new window. Just selecting NEW from the file menu
correctly duplicates the current window.

I am using Win98 1st edition, Internet Explorer 6. Any ideas how
I can repair this?

°Mike°

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or
Nothing Happens After You Click a Link

Nothing happens when you click a link
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

On Sat, 01 May 2004 09:51:19 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fidcal scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Fidcal

Thanks, I'll check these out.

Hey! Some useful info on your site and written very clearly
which makes a change from some sites I've visited. Though I
reckon you might change your sig to 'Basic Windows maintenance'
as 'Basic computer maintenance' sounds a bit like hardware?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 16:42:37 +0100, °Mike°
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or
>Nothing Happens After You Click a Link
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=281679
>
>Nothing happens when you click a link
>http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm
>

>On Sat, 01 May 2004 09:51:19 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fidcal scrawled:
>
>>I was at a site yesterday and got a dialog 'install Macromedia
>>Flash?' I clicked yes and within moments, without any other
>>messages, the flash menu in the page started working OK. I was a
>>little surprised how quickly it installed.
>>
>>Now today I find that ordinary popups don't work. I get a new
>>window but it just captures whatever desktop is behind it and
>>doesn't update and an hourglass remains permanently. This also
>>happens also if I Ctrl+Shift+Left mouse click on a link to open
>>it in a new window. Just selecting NEW from the file menu
>>correctly duplicates the current window.
>>
>>I am using Win98 1st edition, Internet Explorer 6. Any ideas how
>>I can repair this?

°Mike°

On Sun, 02 May 2004 08:48:09 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fidcal scrawled:

>Thanks, I'll check these out.

You're welcome.

>Hey! Some useful info on your site and written very clearly
>which makes a change from some sites I've visited.

Thanks.

>Though I reckon you might change your sig to 'Basic Windows
>maintenance' as 'Basic computer maintenance' sounds a bit
>like hardware?

Whereas 'Basic Windows Maintenance' sounds like an
advert for a double glazing firm? <g>

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 02 May 2004 08:48:09 +0100, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fidcal scrawled:
>
> >Thanks, I'll check these out.

> You're welcome.
>
> >Hey! Some useful info on your site and written very clearly
> >which makes a change from some sites I've visited.

> Thanks.
>
> >Though I reckon you might change your sig to 'Basic Windows
> >maintenance' as 'Basic computer maintenance' sounds a bit
> >like hardware?

> Whereas 'Basic Windows Maintenance' sounds like an
> advert for a double glazing firm? <g>
>
> <snip>

I work for a company that makes window (and door) parts...we don't need
windows maintenance like the computers do <g>

°Mike°

On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:03:38 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Toolman Tim scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 02 May 2004 08:48:09 +0100, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Fidcal scrawled:
>>
>> >Thanks, I'll check these out.

>> You're welcome.
>>
>> >Hey! Some useful info on your site and written very clearly
>> >which makes a change from some sites I've visited.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> >Though I reckon you might change your sig to 'Basic Windows
>> >maintenance' as 'Basic computer maintenance' sounds a bit
>> >like hardware?

>> Whereas 'Basic Windows Maintenance' sounds like an
>> advert for a double glazing firm? <g>
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>I work for a company that makes window (and door) parts...we don't need
>windows maintenance like the computers do <g>

That's what they all say. <g>

--
Basic computer maintenance