Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ethernet ups hookup

ethernet ups hookup

Piccolo

I am using a Belkin UPS with RJ45 connections. I have made and tried
every type of cable, and have re-made them a few times as well
thinking I may have not pushed them in good or something. The problem
is, when I connect a cable to the ups, then to the computer, I get the
message "A network cable is unplugged." Yet when I go straight from
the wall to my computer there is no problem. Any suggestions, could it
be that there are just too many beraks in the line? The entire setup
when working follows this path....

Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer

Router:
Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3

Ethernet Card:

SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)

why?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 02:07:55 -0500, Piccolo wrote:

>I am using a Belkin UPS with RJ45 connections. I have made and tried

No detail model/part number of UPS.

>every type of cable, and have re-made them a few times as well
>thinking I may have not pushed them in good or something. The problem
>is, when I connect a cable to the ups, then to the computer, I get the
>message "A network cable is unplugged." Yet when I go straight from

Without details of the model of UPS, my 1st guess would be an RJ45
connector doesn't make it Ethernet, so perhaps you are discovering why a
Serial port UPS connection doesn't work plugged into a NIC?

>the wall to my computer there is no problem. Any suggestions, could it

The example working setup doesn't include any mention of the UPS so it's
not an example?

>be that there are just too many beraks in the line? The entire setup

Too many breaks where?

>when working follows this path....
>
>Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer

Ethernet device - Ethernet device - cable run - Ethernet device.

>Router:
>Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3

Model of router.

>Ethernet Card:
>SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)

Model of NIC

Me

John

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Piccolo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am using a Belkin UPS with RJ45 connections. I have made and tried
> every type of cable, and have re-made them a few times as well
> thinking I may have not pushed them in good or something. The problem
> is, when I connect a cable to the ups, then to the computer, I get the
> message "A network cable is unplugged."

This is not a connection you should be unplugging when the computer is
on. Leave it in place, and disconnect or connect only when the computer
is turned off.
You should never disconnect any kind of plug from the computer unless
it is USB or FireWire. It is smartest just to assume every other kind
must be handle only when the computer is shut down (it doesn't have to
be disconnected, and in truth many devices may have no problem with you
yanking cables out freely -- but you shouldn't assume that as a basic
practice.)

Toolman Tim

news:020520040246527480%(E-Mail Removed) d.not...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Piccolo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am using a Belkin UPS with RJ45 connections. I have made and tried
> > every type of cable, and have re-made them a few times as well
> > thinking I may have not pushed them in good or something. The problem
> > is, when I connect a cable to the ups, then to the computer, I get the
> > message "A network cable is unplugged."

> This is not a connection you should be unplugging when the computer is
> on. Leave it in place, and disconnect or connect only when the computer
> is turned off.
> You should never disconnect any kind of plug from the computer unless
> it is USB or FireWire. It is smartest just to assume every other kind
> must be handle only when the computer is shut down (it doesn't have to
> be disconnected, and in truth many devices may have no problem with you
> yanking cables out freely -- but you shouldn't assume that as a basic
> practice.)

So true...but in 20+ years of computer experience, I've only damaged 2
peripherals by plugging them in with the power on. One *was* ethernet - a
router (blew out one port, must have had a bad plug) - the other was a
parallel printer (blew a fuse in the printer).

Piccolo

On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:05:54 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:020520040246527480%(E-Mail Removed) ed.not...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Piccolo
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > I am using a Belkin UPS with RJ45 connections. I have made and tried
>> > every type of cable, and have re-made them a few times as well
>> > thinking I may have not pushed them in good or something. The problem
>> > is, when I connect a cable to the ups, then to the computer, I get the
>> > message "A network cable is unplugged."

>> This is not a connection you should be unplugging when the computer is
>> on. Leave it in place, and disconnect or connect only when the computer
>> is turned off.
>> You should never disconnect any kind of plug from the computer unless
>> it is USB or FireWire. It is smartest just to assume every other kind
>> must be handle only when the computer is shut down (it doesn't have to
>> be disconnected, and in truth many devices may have no problem with you
>> yanking cables out freely -- but you shouldn't assume that as a basic
>> practice.)

>So true...but in 20+ years of computer experience, I've only damaged 2
>peripherals by plugging them in with the power on. One *was* ethernet - a
>router (blew out one port, must have had a bad plug) - the other was a
>parallel printer (blew a fuse in the printer).

Sorry about not posting the UPS model ... and I never even gave it a
second thought about having power off while plugging and unplugging
ethernet cables, yet I do with everything else.

Belkin UPS: Universal UPS 1200VA
Model: F6C120-UNV
Nic: SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)
Model: 1244TX V2
Router: Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3
Model :BEFSR41 V3 Firmware version; 1.05.00

Working Network Setup:

Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer

Non-Working Network Setup:

Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - UPS - Computer

UPS says it is for phone/faxt/mode/networking plugs

From Belkin Site:
Provides up to 100 minutes backup time
Battery load capacity: 1200VA (670 Watts)
Bulldog Plus Software: Compatible with Windows XP, 95/98, 2000, NT
Provides 6 Outlets: 4 battery backup outlets w/surge protection and 2
outlets w/surge protection only
Serial and USB Ports
1 In, 1 Out RJ45/RJ11 jack with surge protection
Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)

anything else I left out, sorry.
Thank you
Have fun
gg back to finals work

Toolman Tim

"Piccolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:05:54 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
> <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:
>

> >"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:020520040246527480%(E-Mail Removed) ed.not...

the

> >> This is not a connection you should be unplugging when the computer is
> >> on. Leave it in place, and disconnect or connect only when the computer
> >> is turned off.
> >> You should never disconnect any kind of plug from the computer unless
> >> it is USB or FireWire. It is smartest just to assume every other kind
> >> must be handle only when the computer is shut down (it doesn't have to
> >> be disconnected, and in truth many devices may have no problem with you
> >> yanking cables out freely -- but you shouldn't assume that as a basic
> >> practice.)

> >So true...but in 20+ years of computer experience, I've only damaged 2
> >peripherals by plugging them in with the power on. One *was* ethernet - a
> >router (blew out one port, must have had a bad plug) - the other was a
> >parallel printer (blew a fuse in the printer).
> >

> Sorry about not posting the UPS model ... and I never even gave it a
> second thought about having power off while plugging and unplugging
> ethernet cables, yet I do with everything else.
>
> Belkin UPS: Universal UPS 1200VA
> Model: F6C120-UNV
> Nic: SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)
> Model: 1244TX V2
> Router: Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3
> Model :BEFSR41 V3 Firmware version; 1.05.00
>
> Working Network Setup:
>
> Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer
>

> Non-Working Network Setup:
>
> Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - UPS - Computer
>
> UPS says it is for phone/faxt/mode/networking plugs
>
> From Belkin Site:
> Provides up to 100 minutes backup time
> Battery load capacity: 1200VA (670 Watts)
> Bulldog Plus Software: Compatible with Windows XP, 95/98, 2000, NT
> Provides 6 Outlets: 4 battery backup outlets w/surge protection and 2
> outlets w/surge protection only
> Serial and USB Ports
> 1 In, 1 Out RJ45/RJ11 jack with surge protection
> Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
>
> anything else I left out, sorry.
> Thank you
> Have fun
> gg back to finals work

Okay - now that I've finally taken time to understand the problem <g> I
think you may need to deal with Belkin customer support...I'd bet that part
of the UPS is defective or requires a custom cable.

Some of us (myself included) assumed you were trying to use that port for
the control functions on the UPS to tell the computer to shut down. Which
explains some of the comments about trying to use it to connect to a serial
port, etc. Sorry for the confusion ;o)

Dan Shea

You should be using a straight ethernet cable between your computer
and this UPS. You should also have a straight ethernet cable from
this UPS to your router.

Question for you: is the UPS turned on? Do you anything else plugged
in to the UPS, and is that stuff working? If so, and you're still
getting a "cable disconnected" message, I'm tempted to say you've got
a bad network port on the UPS.

Cheers,
dan

On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:40:49 -0500, Piccolo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:05:54 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
><tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:020520040246527480%(E-Mail Removed) ked.not...

>>> This is not a connection you should be unplugging when the computer is
>>> on. Leave it in place, and disconnect or connect only when the computer
>>> is turned off.
>>> You should never disconnect any kind of plug from the computer unless
>>> it is USB or FireWire. It is smartest just to assume every other kind
>>> must be handle only when the computer is shut down (it doesn't have to
>>> be disconnected, and in truth many devices may have no problem with you
>>> yanking cables out freely -- but you shouldn't assume that as a basic
>>> practice.)

>>So true...but in 20+ years of computer experience, I've only damaged 2
>>peripherals by plugging them in with the power on. One *was* ethernet - a
>>router (blew out one port, must have had a bad plug) - the other was a
>>parallel printer (blew a fuse in the printer).
>>

>Sorry about not posting the UPS model ... and I never even gave it a
>second thought about having power off while plugging and unplugging
>ethernet cables, yet I do with everything else.
>
>Belkin UPS: Universal UPS 1200VA
>Model: F6C120-UNV
>Nic: SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)
>Model: 1244TX V2
>Router: Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3
>Model :BEFSR41 V3 Firmware version; 1.05.00
>
>Working Network Setup:
>
>Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer
>

>Non-Working Network Setup:
>
>Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - UPS - Computer
>
>UPS says it is for phone/faxt/mode/networking plugs
>
>From Belkin Site:
> Provides up to 100 minutes backup time
> Battery load capacity: 1200VA (670 Watts)
> Bulldog Plus Software: Compatible with Windows XP, 95/98, 2000, NT
> Provides 6 Outlets: 4 battery backup outlets w/surge protection and 2
>outlets w/surge protection only
> Serial and USB Ports
> 1 In, 1 Out RJ45/RJ11 jack with surge protection
> Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
>
>anything else I left out, sorry.
>Thank you
>Have fun
>gg back to finals work

Piccolo

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:47:39 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

>"Piccolo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:05:54 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
>> <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:
>>

>> >"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:020520040246527480%(E-Mail Removed) ed.not...

>the

>> >So true...but in 20+ years of computer experience, I've only damaged 2
>> >peripherals by plugging them in with the power on. One *was* ethernet - a
>> >router (blew out one port, must have had a bad plug) - the other was a
>> >parallel printer (blew a fuse in the printer).
>> >

>> Sorry about not posting the UPS model ... and I never even gave it a
>> second thought about having power off while plugging and unplugging
>> ethernet cables, yet I do with everything else.
>>
>> Belkin UPS: Universal UPS 1200VA
>> Model: F6C120-UNV
>> Nic: SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1244TX V2)
>> Model: 1244TX V2
>> Router: Lnksys Etherfast® Cable/DSL Router BEFSR41 V3
>> Model :BEFSR41 V3 Firmware version; 1.05.00
>>
>> Working Network Setup:
>>
>> Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - Computer
>>

>> Non-Working Network Setup:
>>
>> Cable Modem - Router - Wall in my room - UPS - Computer
>>
>> UPS says it is for phone/faxt/mode/networking plugs
>>
>> From Belkin Site:
>> Provides up to 100 minutes backup time
>> Battery load capacity: 1200VA (670 Watts)
>> Bulldog Plus Software: Compatible with Windows XP, 95/98, 2000, NT
>> Provides 6 Outlets: 4 battery backup outlets w/surge protection and 2
>> outlets w/surge protection only
>> Serial and USB Ports
>> 1 In, 1 Out RJ45/RJ11 jack with surge protection
>> Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
>>
>> anything else I left out, sorry.
>> Thank you
>> Have fun
>> gg back to finals work
>>

>Okay - now that I've finally taken time to understand the problem <g> I
>think you may need to deal with Belkin customer support...I'd bet that part
>of the UPS is defective or requires a custom cable.
>
>Some of us (myself included) assumed you were trying to use that port for
>the control functions on the UPS to tell the computer to shut down. Which
>explains some of the comments about trying to use it to connect to a serial
>port, etc. Sorry for the confusion ;o)

Not your fault for the confusion, its mine, sorry. Everything else
works, Ive had a few power outages, and it works wonderfully, except
for the network part ofcourse. Have my computer, printer, monitor, and
speakers all plugged into it. I will go ahead and contact belkin then,
it will have to be email because of school and finals and such. I hope
it is not a custom cable.
Thank you for the replies, and not just ignoring this. Again, sorry
about the confusion.. That late at night/early in the morning it
seemed to be fairly clear.

w_tom

The protector is not doing anything effective - other than
doing the same job of a $3 retail plug mole. Don't worry
about the RJ45 connection. Any protection that works at the
computer is already inside the computer - part of the NIC.
But worry about what internal protection requires, so as not
to be overwhelmed. Building must have 'whole house'
protection. Such protection is routinely installed by phone
company because it is so effective and so inexpensive. So
inexpensive; on the order of tens of times less money than the
Belkin. But AC electric typically has no such 'whole house'
protection.

A surge protector is only as effective as its earth ground.
The Belkin typically has no earth ground connection. Read the
Belkin specs. They don't even mention which type of
destructive transients they protect from. Why? Better to let
you assume it protects from all types of surges. Otherwise
you might discover it does nothing and may even contribute to
damage during the typically destructive surge.

Protection from a destructive surge required a less than 10
foot connection to single point earth ground. When selling an
ineffective product at such excessive cost, then why bother
mentioning the most essential and necessary component of a
protection system - earthing? Better to not harm a so
profitable sale. Better to not mention that no earth ground
means no effective protection.

Don't worry about that RJ45 connector. It will only degrade
network signals AND provides no effective protection. Again
read their specs. Where does it state protection for each
type of surge? Where does it even say what protection is
provided - shunt or series mode? For that matter, where does
it specifically state, with numbers, the protection? It does
not. Network protection that is effective at the NIC is
already on that NIC.

For those technically inclined to learn concepts, summaries
are in previous discussions: "RJ-11 line protection?" on 31
Dec 2003 in pdx.computing, at
http://tinyurl.com/2hl53 and
"Opinions on Surge Protectors?" on 7 Jul 2003 in the
newsgroup alt.certification.a-plus at
http://tinyurl.com/l3m9

A surge protector is only as effective as its earth ground.
No earth ground means ....

Piccolo wrote:
> Not your fault for the confusion, its mine, sorry. Everything else
> works, Ive had a few power outages, and it works wonderfully, except
> for the network part ofcourse. Have my computer, printer, monitor,
> and speakers all plugged into it. I will go ahead and contact
> belkin then, it will have to be email because of school and finals
> and such. I hope it is not a custom cable.
> Thank you for the replies, and not just ignoring this. Again, sorry
> about the confusion.. That late at night/early in the morning it
> seemed to be fairly clear.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

w_tom wrote:

> The protector is not doing anything effective - other than
> doing the same job of a $3 retail plug mole.

<snip>

This is bound to be a US/UK terminology thing, but, what is
a "$3 retail plug mole"? I suspect that the equivalent may
be a "surge-arresting plug-top" - in English english.